Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an excursion that I tow a 30' toy hauler with. Fully loaded, its approx 11,500lbs. I realise it's a lot of weight for ex but I thought itd tow it better then it does. I've done a ton of work to it, heavy duty rebuilt trans with the extra clutches and a tugger shift kit. Went through the motor, deleted the ebpv valve, rebuilt the stock turbo, upgraded the turbo wheel, oil crossover lines, and added the napa air filter. Also added a 6.0l trans cooler. Its lifted with 35s. I want a little more giddy up and go. Right now I have a super chips programmer. Not super impressed with it because I dont care for the shift points. I'm looking at the hydra chip and my question is should I also regear to 4.10s? All in all it's pretty good at everything else. Fuel economy isnt awesome. Still has the stock exhaust. The other thing I'm not sure on, is it makes a whooshing sound when your at cruising speed. It's not turbo whistle, it sounds like a leak. Could that be the waste gate?

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Do you have gauges to monitor your boost and egts? If not get those first so you can see how you engine is running, and you don't melt a hole in a piston from running it too hot. A Hydra chip and full 4" exhaust would be the next step, then see how it pulls after that before you decide to regear.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you tow that weight often and are set on keeping the 35s, I’d re gear. It should help a lot. If you only tow once in a while then I wouldn’t bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
both my trucks have stock 235 tires. my 01 came with 3.73 and i had 4.30 put in and love it. my 02 came with 4.10 and i am going to have 4.30 put in it. both trucks have hydrachips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. Gauges are on my to do list before I do anything else. I read that I need to be careful with a tuner and my transmission since I already have a shift kit. Is this factual?

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
When you get the Hydra use the tunes for the modified valve body.

Reactions: 7.3_TurboDiesel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts