Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 power stroke and the problem im haveing is when i gear down into second gear sometimes it wont go in and grinds abit then it will eventualy go in anyone know what this migth be ?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
The syncro is probably worn out for 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
I agree with the syncro. How are the clutch pedal bushings?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
syncro.i just had mine all replaced.its nice to be able to shift though.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
syncro.i just had mine all replaced.its nice to be able to shift though.
If you dont mind me asking... how much for the synchros to be replaced? Did you have all replaced?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
well yea i had all replaced.now as far as pricing i got it done for just the cost of parts,which was about a grand.i got that price because my brother works at ford and he did it on his off time there.he did tell me to have this done through the dealership would cost me around 2-2500 dollars give or take a couple bucks.only bad part was is it took him 2 months!!!he could only work on it after work.so yea its a pricey job.just hope you never have to have it done.shift easy my friend!

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Holy sticker shock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have a 1996 power stroke and the problem im haveing is when i gear down into second gear sometimes it wont go in and grinds abit then it will eventualy go in anyone know what this migth be ?
I had the same problom, changed the ped bushing and it did help for a while then the grind down shifting from 3rd. So what I did to fix it was to take out the pedel assimbly and where the clutch ped mounts to the splined shaft I backed it up a couple of splines and end of the grind. Could save you a couple of grand, but its no job I want to do agine.:tard:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright thanks for the tips guys il have a look at it next week once i get home hahah as long as it gets me home but its a obs im sure it will hahaha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think its getting worese now too its doing it in 1st also the syncro involves pulling the tranny dosent it ? hope not but im sure it dose i have to drive about 1400kms on friday hope it makes it !

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I find that down shifting into 2nd to slow down in the ZF5's is to low of a gear to use to slow you down. I usually use 3rd as my last slowing down gear.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
I find that down shifting into 2nd to slow down in the ZF5's is to low of a gear to use to slow you down. I usually use 3rd as my last slowing down gear.
I agree, but I thought that was just me, glad someone else thinks so also

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Not sure what rear gears you got, but I've noticed it won't grind below 20 km/h on a downshift to second. I never downshift to 1st, if I use 1st gear at all, I'm stopped.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
On a ZF6 you can use 2nd as a slow down gear. Usually you don't use the take off gear to slow you down. I always take off in 2nd on the ZF5 because 1st is to low. Only time I use 1st is when I'm pulling a trialer over 4K lbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i only use 1st to take off also but it just dosent go in very good at all and then 2nd also dosnet go in very well and it only grindes above 20kms too but it sounds like that all do that but what could make it so hard to get into gear then? i think it must be my syncro because if i put it back in nutrel and try again it makes it easyer/smoother

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
I would definately check out the pedal bushings at $3 before having the syncros looked at.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Will shifting without the clutch solve this problem??

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like your clutch pedal bushing is toast. If your pedal squeaks, then the bushing is gone. What this means is that you've lost about 1" in master cylinder travel, and thus, the clutch is not fully disengaging.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts