Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 King Ranch 4WD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run the gearhead unlimited tow tune? I used to run looney from Vivian at quick tricks. That has always been my favorite tune especially the transmission tuning. I tow a lot so I’m constantly going back to stock because I can’t tow with looney. I contacted quick tricks to get the transmission only tune so could stop flashing my pcm constantly. Vivian informed me that they no longer tune due to an epa investigation.

Does anyone have recent experience with gearhead tunes on a 6.0? I already ordered the unlimited tow tune which I’m guessing is transmission only. I wonder if it’s only a matter of time before all the decent tuners are tied up with epa.

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
Don't guess it is trans only ask him
when I did it was more than trans , but that was a while ago ,, heck if it was only trans I would save your money

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run it towing my 5er 14k ish lbs. Shifts good no complaints, I haven’t tried towing in the stock file in over 5 years so not sure on the difference of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 F250 King Ranch 4WD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’m hoping it shifts like looney does. As long as it’s better than stock I’ll probably be happy. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
It won't shift like Looney does, so don't get your hopes up in that regard. I liked the GH tunes when I ran them (8K Tow & SRL), but they shift very quickly through the gears. I'm not a fan of the TC locking at 45-50MPH.

-jokester

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
I never like my GH tunes because of shifts
and He never liked to reply to adjust request so I run PHP mostly
now no tuners will likely talk to you, I am surprised GH is still active

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't guess it is trans only ask him
when I did it was more than trans , but that was a while ago ,, heck if it was only trans I would save your money
Are you sure you are not thinking about the 8k Tow tune? That tune does get a small boost in power along with what seemed to me a change in RPM when it starts defueling. 8k Tow felt like it pulled a couple hundred RPM past the point where stock would start to taper off. I ordered my tunes from him in early 2013 and had been familiar with his offerings for a while before I finally pulling the trigger and ordering mine. Stayed stock to try and keep head gaskets safe and after doing head gaskets twice I figured I might as well tune it then... :cool:

Back to the topic. The Unlimited Tow as I understand it has always been a stock fuel tune with modified trans tuning unless very early versions has fueling changes.

This from their website:
"8000 Lb Tow (8K Tow)
This tow file is rated for 8000 pounds of towing without being studded. Studded trucks can tow 13000 pounds with this file.

Unlimited Tow
Since this file maintains stock fuel parameters, it can tow whatever you want while giving better shift firmness than stock."

Like I said, I got my tunes from him almost a decade ago. The three tune set of Unlimited, 8k, and SRL. As far as I know, Unlimited has always been a trans only tune for people who tow heavy.

Sorry for the long reply, have not really been active on the diesel forums for a while and was a little surprised by the general tone toward GH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i like GH just fine and i got the 3 tunes for 75 when i bought my cts. ive only run the SRL so far, but it boosted the power and my throttle response dramatically. i dont tow right now so i havent tried the others.

just got my egr delete and will soon get an exhaust with no cat. ive been emailing and no big tuners will doing anything with "illeagal" trucks. BUT i emailed dynamic calibration and he said he can help me out. looking at their prices, it's steep. but you gotta pay to play.
so maybe thats another route for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts