Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just heard about gearhead custom tunes.i was wondering if anyone knows which tunes are better, gearheads, h&s, or INnovative? Also what kind of real world mileage are you getting? In getting about 14 right now so I would really like to improve that

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm getting 16.7 average with H&S on 250 running mild. Running KEM 345 I am averaging 17.1

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
you lie!!!!! your fuelly says 13 mpg. hahahaha just messing

its hard to get everyones true mpg because some like to fudge the numbers. i gained 2-3 mpg from stock to dpf deleted running h&s hot damn tuning on HOT setting. im curious to see what matt at gearhead can do with the 6.4. i loved his tuning on my 6.0

·
Registered
348 Posts
17.6 last tank kem 275 and that was hand calculated.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
My KEM 345 tune is ridiculous..I can't stand to drive it due to how nasty it is and I hate the 2-3 shift. I washed my truck monday morning and it was spotless, by the next evening the bumper was already black...I can't stand to see a haze of smoke just crusing. I am pissed I spent 250 for that tune. Total waste of money...I can't wait for eric or matt to release something for the mini maxx. Until then ill stay with my HD300 tunes

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My KEM 345 tune is ridiculous..I can't stand to drive it due to how nasty it is and I hate the 2-3 shift. I washed my truck monday morning and it was spotless, by the next evening the bumper was already black...I can't stand to see a haze of smoke just crusing. I am pissed I spent 250 for that tune. Total waste of money...I can't wait for eric or matt to release something for the mini maxx. Until then ill stay with my HD300 tunes
you might want check your truck for codes or fuel system. you could have a stuck injector. i havent read many bad reviews on kem tuning. as a matter of fact heard their shifting was smoother than h&s. also i would call kem and see if theres a fix.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Fuel system is good! No codes, runs like a raped ape! Just dirty on his tune and my 2-3 shift is harsh. My H&S tunes run much smoother and cleaner!

you might want check your truck for codes or fuel system. you could have a stuck injector. i havent read many bad reviews on kem tuning. as a matter of fact heard their shifting was smoother than h&s. also i would call kem and see if theres a fix.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i've got gearheads tow, street and hot street tunes.. dont have the race.. no need for it, nor do i have the goodies to run it reliably. shifting is great.. its practically smoke free.. i've only run the hot street tune so far.. mileage is so/so.. was only getting 13ish... but im running 37's.. so thats not terrible.. only thing i didn't like about it was it holds the gears too long.. if im really light on the throttle, it hold the gear until the rpms get way up or it gets to a certain speed before it shifts... i've talked to matt about it already and hes going to fix

i also run KEM 345 most of the time.. it is a little dirty and there is a haze while cruising, but the shifting is good. i have a slight hesitation @ 1750 rpms, KEM told me to send logs, i havne't gotten around to it yet.. but this tune gets me the best mileage.. usually get around 14.5.. just went to the beach over the weekend.. 300 miles round trip.. mostly highway.. and then did about 100 miles of city driving.. still got 15.8 mpg.. hand calculated on the 37's.. best mileage i've seen is 17 mpg,s w/ this tune on 37's.. all highway driving for 400 miles cruising @ 75

and then i have innovatives older tunes.. i dont have the 3.x.x tunes yet but i want to try them.. extreme race is too hard to control once its in OD, and the shifts are too harsh for my liking.. smokes real heavy too.. extreme street is nice, good street manners, but shifting is too harsh.. the street tune on the soft shifting runs and drives great.. little smoke, good shifts.. but my mileage is poopy.. only getting 12.5

all of them have things i love/like, all of them have things i dont like.. KEM 345 or gearhead gets my vote.. but until i try innovatives new stuff.. i cant give any feedback on those.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
my 2-3 shift is hard on my kem 345 also, gonna get mike to send me a tweaked version, it does smoke a good bit but its such a smooth tune.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Fuel system is good! No codes, runs like a raped ape! Just dirty on his tune and my 2-3 shift is harsh. My H&S tunes run much smoother and cleaner!
at least your truck is in good shape. looks like mixed reviews now for kem. couple guys on the army having shifting issues but theyre running extra fuel but i guess that shouldnt matter. hope you get it worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I just got back from a vacation so I did some hand calcs with H&S canned tunes. I was running Wild most of the time on the 250 H&S tunes with low boost on 1. Driving was 3.5 hrs on 2 lane roads through the mountains which get up to a little over 4 k. When climbing or descending the mountains, they are very windy (plent of 15-20 MPH turns). 1 hr on a 4-lane with numerous stop lights. The rest (5.5 hrs) was Interstate running 75-85 MPH. Lie-o-meter read 19.8 and hand calcs were 17.8.

When I was running a SCT, I had the KEM 210 tune and liked it. Since I have switched to H&S, I am still considering my options for custom tuning.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i've got gearheads tow, street and hot street tunes.. dont have the race.. no need for it, nor do i have the goodies to run it reliably. shifting is great.. its practically smoke free.. i've only run the hot street tune so far.. mileage is so/so.. was only ust went to the beach over the weekend.. 300 miles round trip.. mostly highway.. and then did about 100 miles of city driving.. still got 15.8 mpg.. hand calculated on the 37's.. best mileage i've seen is 17 mpg,s w/ this tune on 37's.. all highway driving for 400 miles street is nice, good street manners, but shifting is too harsh.. the street tune on the soft shifting runs and drives great.. little smoke, good shifts.. but my mileage is poopy.. only getting 12.5 all of them have things i love/like, all of them have things i dont like.. KEM 345 or gearhead gets my vote.. but until i try innovatives new stuff.. i cant give any feedback on those.
excellent post paintball. very thorough and good info on running 37s and different tunes. what gear ratio are you running?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just got back from a vacation so I did some hand calcs with H&S canned tunes. I was running Wild most of the time on the 250 H&S tunes with low boost on 1. Driving was 3.5 hrs on 2 lane roads through the mountains which get up to a little over 4 k. When climbing or descending the mountains, they are very windy (plent of 15-20 MPH turns). 1 hr on a 4-lane with numerous stop lights. The rest (5.5 hrs) was Interstate running 75-85 MPH. Lie-o-meter read 19.8 and hand calcs were 17.8.

When I was running a SCT, I had the KEM 210 tune and liked it. Since I have switched to H&S, I am still considering my options for custom tuning.
good numbers b especially for that terrain. you keep the rpms down on your handshaker? a lot of times i wish i had one. i dont race much if at all.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
good numbers b especially for that terrain. you keep the rpms down on your handshaker? a lot of times i wish i had one. i dont race much if at all.
For the most part, yes. I shift it into OD in the low 40s (if on reasonably flat ground). As long as I am above 1100 RPM (in any gear) it runs smooth. Since my clutch was one of the first that SB made for 6.4 (the 3850) and I don't have their updates, it is very aggressive and it hard to shift so when accelerating going through the gears, I shift when it will give the smoothest shift. Through the first 4 gears, I lose most of my boost when shifting (because of my particular clutch) so speed/terrian does play a factor. I am use to it, but maybe someday will swap out to a more streetable clutch (like the 3250) but right now engine mods still take priority!!!

Oh yeah, the turbo (or possible intake manny/exhaust manny/up pipes) definitely improved my mileage (if I can resist the temptation of the skinny pedal).

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am running Innovatives latest tunes, I run the street with soft shifts and get 16.8-17.6 mixed driving, I haven't really ran any long highway trips but suspect it would be 18+.
I have ran the extreme mild tune and thought it ran great but I wasn't to fond of the firm shifting.

im running AFE pro dry intake, 4" delete from downpipe back, spartan CAC, truck runs great.

·
Registered
872 Posts
excellent post paintball. very thorough and good info on running 37s and different tunes. what gear ratio are you running?
sorry for bringing up this older post.. but i just saw this..

running 3.73's

i came back across this looking for some info on gearheads tow tune..

i ran it yesterday pulling my horse trailer loaded down with 80 bails of hay in the trailer and 10 bails in the bed.. each bail is roughly 60 lbs. and the trailer is about 2000.. so about 7400 lbs.. still running the 37's EGT's never got about 1050 and ECT/EOT's stayed in check the whole time. now my mileage pulling this thing loaded is horrible.. at least i think its bad. started out with just barely over 1/2 a tank, 90 miles later.. i was down below 1/4.. pulling the trailer for 90 miles, but only loaded down with 90 bails for 45 miles of it. does this seem right.. had the right amount of power in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
sorry for bringing up this older post.. but i just saw this..

running 3.73's

i came back across this looking for some info on gearheads tow tune..

i ran it yesterday pulling my horse trailer loaded down with 80 bails of hay in the trailer and 10 bails in the bed.. each bail is roughly 60 lbs. and the trailer is about 2000.. so about 7400 lbs.. still running the 37's EGT's never got about 1050 and ECT/EOT's stayed in check the whole time. now my mileage pulling this thing loaded is horrible.. at least i think its bad. started out with just barely over 1/2 a tank, 90 miles later.. i was down below 1/4.. pulling the trailer for 90 miles, but only loaded down with 90 bails for 45 miles of it. does this seem right.. had the right amount of power in my eyes.
If your truck is like mine, it takes a long time to get to a half tank, but then from 1/2 down to 3/4 goes pretty quick. Once I get to 1/4 tank left it will slow down and I can go a good distance before I get to fill up point. Most horse trailers are pretty flat front, so if there is any wind it is going to kill mileage. I run all KEM tunes, I tow in 210, and DD 275 (nets me best MPG's) I have been playing around with the 310 on the interstate to see if I can find a sweet spot where it will get better MPG's than the 275 but havent found it yet. My 345 is a pretty smokey tune but it runs VERY well. I do live at 5k feet though, and will take the truck up to 10-12k feet pretty often so all of my tunes are a bit smokey compared to you boys at sea level. I also run an Airdog 2. Id love to drive in a truck with gearhead tunes to see what they are all about. I love how all the tuning companies keep pushing each other to make better and better tunes. Competition is about as american as apple pie.

·
Registered
872 Posts
mine does the same thing on the fuel gauge now that i think about it.. my 345 is really smokey.. at night when there are headlights behind me.. the smoke covers 2 or 3 lanes of traffic sometimes when merging onto the interstate. but it gets me some descent mileage. however.. the gearhead shifting is bar none the best i've run so far. i'm running the tow tune right now and shifting is just like stock,, but with extra power and no smoke! i haven't tried the street tune yet, but i need to get it loaded up to try. my hot street, i had matt send me an updated one with some different shifting patterns on it, but i haven't had a chance to try that one yet either.. i've been so busy with work, life, and deer hunting, i haven't had time to try out some of these other tunes like i want.. but i will be in the near future.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Let us know when you get some good seat time with the other tunes.

Sent from the duck blind waiting on mr sun......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts