Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am, looking to do a gear swap on my truck in a month or two, and wanted to get opinions on whether I should keep the limited slip that I have or get a locker for it, be it a Detroit or Eaton, I'm kinda on the fence, don't really know if I need something like the Eaton E-Locker if I'm not doing any real offroading. I just thought that a locker might be better in the winter time than a limited slip.

The only reason I'm doing a gear swap with my 35s is I have noticed more friction between the road and my tires, I can feel that I need more power just to get the tires to move, haven't noticed any drop in mileage yet, it'll probably take a couple hundred miles before that shows. But I figure that I'll go with the 3.73 gearing, as oppose to 4.10, just because the 4.10 I would see a good decrease in mileage. I'm not towing much right now, just driving a lot of miles. So back to the topic of the locker, let me know your opinions.
Thanks.

James.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Man. I wish you were closer I would swap you. I have 3.73s and want 3.55 or 3.31s

·
Registered
518 Posts
Go for the eaton true trac, best option for on the market IMO. No special additives needed, no clutches to wear out , works well for towing, only down side is the price. (FYI eaton bought detriot a few years ago so now they are one and the same).

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had a detroit in my bronco and would certainly do another. It always works, doesnt wear out, and is very predicatable. Would be a nice asset to a LWB truck..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I cant believe you can actually feel a drop in performance by adding a slightly larger tire. Not calling you out or anything, just saying, our trucks are power monsters, especially when tuned.
Anywho, Get the Detroit locker for 3.73 gears and you'll love it. Thats actually going to be my next purchase on the first. I had one in my last truck and loved it. I live in upstate NY and it does great in the snow. The only downside is, when its really slippery out it changes the driving characteristics quite a bit and gets her a bit squirrelly. If youre the only one to drive it, ie. no kids or wife ;) the you'll be good.
Keep us posted,
Dom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts