Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my truck just now looking around and saw the factory front axle tag. I pulled it the rest of the way off.

After looking at it, I found what I thought to say 4.10 gears. I instantly went to my rear axle and looked and it showed what I thought to say 3L55 which would mean 3.55 gears.

I need to know if I have miss matched gears so I can correct the problem before I will need to use 4wd.

Can someone verify this by the pictures I have put below?

Front Axle Sticker:

Rear Axle Tag:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
You do appear to have a mismatch by the stickers. What I would do to test it is jack up the truck, rotate the drive shaft and compare its number of rotations to the number of rotations of the tires. A chalk mark would make it easier to count.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
what he said^^

·
Registered
323 Posts
pull the the covers off and count the teeth on the ring and pinion

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
How would you change the gears.

·
Registered
323 Posts
front ttb dana 50 dosent have a cover. maybe previous owner did a rear axle swap or gear change. i would pull rear cover off and count the teeth

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Could lift it and spin the shaft count tire rotations compared to drive shaft tell you the ratio.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have you tried putting it in 4 wheel drive and maybe "testing" the differentials for a difference? A slow test on gravel or other loose type surfaces will give you a much better results and of course some ease of mind if in chance you do have a different ratio. I am not speaking of high speed of course,but you should instantly realize if you have the wrong gear or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts