Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much gear lube in the rear and front diff.

Thanks all

·
Registered
70 Posts
just fill it until it comes out of the fill plug.

Use non synthetic. Currie enterprise did a test years back on synthetic vs non, and well on the non synthetic diff cover become hotter than with synthetic. The reason being, the non synthetic took heat away from the ring and pinion why synthetic didn't as much. They did it in a more scientific way but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don't forget the additive if you have limited slip. I personally use synthetic

·
Registered
57 Posts
ford puts Synthetic in it from factory. Choose as you wish... But fill til it starts coming out of the fill hole. once stops dripping or coming out stick plug back in

·
Registered
70 Posts
ford puts Synthetic in it from factory. Choose as you wish... But fill til it starts coming out of the fill hole. once stops dripping or coming out stick plug back in
Just because they do doesn't mean it's the best thing. How many people get things and then change them right after they get it because it's far superior than factory.....Too many.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did i say anything about it was being the best? No. I was stating that ford does things for a reason. Also your false on the additives thing. LSD's still need the friction modifier or you will have a popping and what not in the clutches and will lead to failure. especially with just straight gear oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did i say anything about it was being the best? No. I was stating that ford does things for a reason. Also your false on the additives thing. LSD's still need the friction modifier or you will have a popping and what not in the clutches and will lead to failure. especially with just straight gear oil.
redline and some others already contain the additive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going the use Amsoil 75-90W srever gear lube. I use it in everything from the race car to the sleds to the Deer's. I do belive its a syntheic oil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts