Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read.... my truck (7.3 Auto 4x4 CCLB 350 SW 4.10 gears) Can only tow 20,000lbs.... my question is... how many of you have towed weighing more then that?

I'm going to probably be towing 2 jeeps (probably about 11k to 12k) with a triple axle gooseneck (about 7k) for a grand total of about 24,000 lbs GCVW. And I was wondering if I should be worried about really doing some serious damage to my truck. I'll be towing in stock tune and taking it really easy. No rush. Will be towing from Salt Lake City to Lake Tahoe.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Travis

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
People around here (and of course, the rest of the country) tow 20-30k of hay all the time. It will do it, but it's gonna be a nice slow trip :rofl:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The person I'm borrowing the trailer from uses it to tow his 2 heeps all the time and he has a 2k 7.3 auto SW 4.10 gears CCSB. I personally am not too worried about it struggling too much but was more curious to see what ya'll have to say about it.

I know on my other forum one of our members towed 50,000 lbs GCVW of hay 150 miles :eek:hnoes: with no issues... except for it being a really slow ride :laugh:

Travis

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
It will pull it, there's not doubt... its not gonna be a rocket though either.

·
Premium Member
31,730 Posts
It will pull it. Leave room for stopping.

Also dont get pulled over. Fines not cheap

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea the 7.3 may not be the fastest diesel on the road but the will pull as much weight as you can find. my dad pulled a loaded grain semi with a 2000 7.3 zf6

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I've crossed the scales at the scrap yard at about 24K lbs... truck and trailer was about 12K, load at about the same... stopping was scary, front wheels wanted to lock up.

However, this was with a bumper pull trailer, not goose neck. The fact that you are using a goose neck will help alot, so the same weight will handle better in your case.

The basics apply, use common sense, allow room for stopping, make sure your trailer brakes work good, adjust your mirrors, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

Good luck, and have fun in moab!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two jeeps weigh 11 to 12k?
Just a rough guesstiment. :dunno:

Fully loaded (gear and fuel) and the fact they are built up. (lots of re-enforcement's, tires, suspension, etc...)

Sadly the plan fell through... but now we are going to do a "by invitation only" trail here in Utah called 'Hanging Tree Trail'. About 2 hours south east of SLC.

I'll be pulling roughly the same weight but instead of two heeps, I'll be pulling my Bronco II and my friends Rubicon.

Travis

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just a rough guesstiment. :dunno:

Fully loaded (gear and fuel) and the fact they are built up. (lots of re-enforcement's, tires, suspension, etc...)

Sadly the plan fell through... but now we are going to do a "by invitation only" trail here in Utah called 'Hanging Tree Trail'. About 2 hours south east of SLC.

I'll be pulling roughly the same weight but instead of two heeps, I'll be pulling my Bronco II and my friends Rubicon.

Travis
I don't know thats why I was asking. That seems kind of heavy for two jeeps but i guess they could weight that much.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Proof. 30 foot dovetail with 2 jeeps. Around 18k just on the trailer. Don't expect to break any land speed records and be cautious with stops by giving plenty of room. Towed this set up just shy of 500 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Proof. 30 foot dovetail with 2 jeeps. Around 18k just on the trailer. Don't expect to break any land speed records and be cautious with stops by giving plenty of room. Towed this set up just shy of 500 miles.
Makes me glad I replace all my brakes this week. I'll be extra cautious (more because this is my first time EVER towing anything more then a one car hauler. In fact... I've only towed two types of things ever in my life. A 18' boat and my Bronco II on a 18' or 20' trailer. So this will be a whole new experience for me. It'll also be my first time towing using a trailer brake system. LOL)

Thank for all of your input everyone. :thumb:

Travis

·
Registered
21 Posts
loads

My 02 F250 sees 28,500 aleast 4 times a month...I pull my backhoe from job to job...It has seen 300 square bales of hay on my 39ft big tex trailer (weighs 10,000 empty) It was alot heavier than my backhoe...Been pulling like this for over 100,000 mile...Bought the truck in 08 with 110,000 . Just rolled over on 245,000..I do have airbags...lol Just bought a E99 f550. Last week I rolled down the road at 60 mph with 24 round bales of hay...I guess it is all in how you do it...

Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew these trucks where built to tow more then what they say they can. I just wanted to be reassured what I knew was correct lol

Travis

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Like others have said, these trucks will definitely pull whatever you can hook it up to. The hard part is getting past DPS. You can haul an empty tandem dual all day long without a CDL but as soon as that thing is loaded, you get a lot more personal attention from the troopers.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My heaviest was the 36' trailer in my avitar at 28000 lbs on my 00. With a tired HPOP and stock turbo on a 40hp tow tune I could do 70mph on the flats and would get drug down to 40mph on the long hills. That was a 1600 mile trip and my turbo bearing went out a few thousand miles afterwards but it had over 190k miles.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I towed my 40"+ 5th Wheel over the scales empty (well the wife had her stuff in there, dishes, bedding nick nacks etc) with my ol 2002 F350 SRW long bed and they were right at 24K

The truck towed fine as long as it was relatively flat smooth and no wind. Once you add some grade, bumps and wind it became a white knuckle event.

I since have stepped up to an 06 F550 Dually and WOW:D this thing was built to tow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts