Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a four gauge pillar for my truck. it came with boost, fuel pressure, pyrometer, and trans temp. I have a 5sp manual so trans temp is not something i planned on monitoring. I dont plan on doing heavy enough hauling to need trans temp on it. which other gauge should i get? the truck is a 96 7.3L.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
High pressure oil gauge.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Like you said if you're not hauling on a regular basis, monitoring trans temp is kind of a waste of pod space with a manual transmission . I agree with monitoring water temp. Our dash gauges are famous for inaccuracy. Another very important pressure is the fuel pressure. Diesels live and die on fuel pressure. Monitoring it is like monitoring oil pressure. You be able to tell overall fuel system health with a quick glance at the guage. It's especially important if your running any fuel mods. A lean/low pressure condition on injectors is death to your engine.

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Base engine oil pressure, would be the one I would add
that along with fuel pressure is all you really need
the others are "nice to know" if you have the room in the gauge setup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have fuel pressure. I will most likely go with water temp. Which will make my gauge setup be boost, egt, fuel pressure, and water temp.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
A 7.3 can't run if it doesn't have good base oil pressure because it will starve the high pressure oil system and the truck will die. So as long as a 7.3 is running your base oil pressure is fine, a high pressure oil or ICP gauge is way more important.

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
A 7.3 can't run if it doesn't have good base oil pressure because it will starve the high pressure oil system and the truck will die. So as long as a 7.3 is running your base oil pressure is fine, a high pressure oil or ICP gauge is way more important.
I have to disagree here
all the high pressure pump needs is oil in the reservoir
so, basically 1psi base pressure to keep the reservoir filled
the oil pressure sensor is between the low oil pump and the high pressure pump

with 1psi oil pressure the engine will run, but for how long
until the bearings go out

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
If there isn't enough oil pressure to provide adequate lubrication it will starve the HPOP and kill the engine it is a fail safe design. Caterpillar and Navistar specifically designed the HEUI system like that so engines that were poorly maintained wouldn't fail due to lack of oil pressure.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit is right on top of the hpop reservoir, some people think the engine runs for a long time on start up befor the oil pressure gauge moves but the sending unit is second to last to see low pressure oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts