Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new GS series Autometer gauges. Trans, pyro, and boost. I put the pyro in the drivers side exhaust manifold. I took the truck for a drive and here are the results. At about 60mph I have about 530 exhaust and 4 or 5 lbs boost. The boost does climb to about 20 when gettin on it but when cruisin it runs right about 4 or 5. At idle pyro is about 250. I dont have any chips in it right now. I was just wondering if these are about right with what everyone else sees. :dunno: I need to get ahold of Autometer for the trans cause they sent me the long sender instead of the short one like I requested. :doh:

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is pretty much what my truck was running when stock, mine was maybe 50 degrees higher at 60 mph, all your boost number on right on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure appreciate the info. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't having any problems. :thumb::woot:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my F250 about a month ago, and that is what I am seeing. I installed the Edge Insight to see the EGT readings. I was hoping for better mileage - got 13.2 mpg the last tank (the display showed about one mpg less than what I calculated).

·
Registered
8 Posts
gauage readings

:):) I have Western Diesel gauages in my 2000 f350 cc drw 6spd with 3.73 gears. My truck is reading the egt&boost as yours. (empty) Only other mods. is a KN filter and a fresh air intake behind the grille. I pull a fifth wheel trailer with combined weight of 18600lbs. MPG empty 19 to 24,pulling 10 to 15 mpg. Ford should had this gauage set-up when truck was built. (helps save the turbo) When I'am pulling fully loaded egt will climb right to 1300 egt with 18 lbs of boost. (I keep my egt at 1250 max.) I've read that the sweet spot on these 7.3's is 600egt. I noticed with the fresh air intake my temps went down 50 degrees. Behind the fresh air intake I have a manual door installed. (Close it a cable system from in the cab when its raining)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:):) I have Western Diesel gauages in my 2000 f350 cc drw 6spd with 3.73 gears. My truck is reading the egt&boost as yours. (empty) Only other mods. is a KN filter and a fresh air intake behind the grille. I pull a fifth wheel trailer with combined weight of 18600lbs. MPG empty 19 to 24,pulling 10 to 15 mpg. Ford should had this gauage set-up when truck was built. (helps save the turbo) When I'am pulling fully loaded egt will climb right to 1300 egt with 18 lbs of boost. (I keep my egt at 1250 max.) I've read that the sweet spot on these 7.3's is 600egt. I noticed with the fresh air intake my temps went down 50 degrees. Behind the fresh air intake I have a manual door installed. (Close it a cable system from in the cab when its raining)

I sure like the idea of the cable as I live in northern Illinois and fight a snow problem with my zoodad mod. I will have to look into that. I am gonna put my diablo back in the truck this week, so its nice to see what your egts are at. Hopefully going to a DP set up later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sure like the idea of the cable as I live in northern Illinois and fight a snow problem with my zoodad mod. I will have to look into that. I am gonna put my diablo back in the truck this week, so its nice to see what your egts are at. Hopefully going to a DP set up later.
(found zoodad picture of air inlet)I'am new to this site, just signed up this past weekend. I've enjoyed alot of different info. I've seen. Ran accross a site called zoodad and it shows how they open up behind the grille. I put a 1/4 screen in the opening first. Than fabercated a scoop out of alum. with a door that closes the opening. I weld all my parts but I belive it could fab one using pop rivets (just peen the rivets over). When the grille was out I fab. a !/4 screen thats between the grille and header braces. In the summer we travel out to your are and beyond (Iowa). We travel rt24,rt74 and rt34. At that time of year those butterflies, grasshoppers (look lie small birds) do quite a job ac system. The screens work quit well. But, in the air I get alot of small flies. With this air system -I use racheting !in. wide straps to heip keep the cover closed. Stock box only has 2 snap locks. I wrap 3 different straps around the air box. Had to cut the straps down .(way to long ) The screen in fromt of the rad. I be concerned of snow and ice in the winters. Mine is held in with black ty-wraps. If you walked in front of my truck you'd nrver notice these mods. Hope it make sense? Thanks (hope your better at using this site than I'am)

·
Registered
167 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread, but i believe my pyro is mounted in the passenger side manifold. is that bad? i didnt install it, had a performance shop do it, and they also installed my boost gauge in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're not hijacking at all. We are all here to help each other. I don't think it really matters which manifold. I would assume that it is usually put in the drivers side just cause being closer to where it comes out of cab usually. Where did they put the boost line? In my instructions it showed right where to put it. In the line going to I think the map sensor. Did you end up getting it straightened around yet?

·
Registered
167 Posts
nope, bought the AIH delete from difuser, gonna just move my boost thermocouple to there. im gonna install my wicked wheel, turbomaster wastegate actuator, overboost annihilator, new pod and tranny temp this weekend. so ill just do the AIH delete and move the boost line and if the pyro needs to be moved as well, ill do it too!! i think im gonna do the CCV mod too, cause been havin some troubles with the rubber boots blowing off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope, bought the AIH delete from difuser, gonna just move my boost thermocouple to there. im gonna install my wicked wheel, turbomaster wastegate actuator, overboost annihilator, new pod and tranny temp this weekend. so ill just do the AIH delete and move the boost line and if the pyro needs to be moved as well, ill do it too!! i think im gonna do the CCV mod too, cause been havin some troubles with the rubber boots blowing off.
I am not sure what you mean by boost thermocouple. Mine was no more than a t fitting. Autometer said to just use a vacuum t. I put all brass fitting with clamps to make sure I didnt have aleak. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I showing about 500 at 60 with the same boost. I pulled my 5th wheel yesterday for the first time since my upgrades and the pyro never got higher than 800 and the tranny about 125, Boost never went above about 15 in the 60tow setting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by boost thermocouple. Mine was no more than a t fitting. Autometer said to just use a vacuum t. I put all brass fitting with clamps to make sure I didnt have aleak. Hope this helps.

:doh: thats the name for the pyro sending unit, a thermocouple. i think. lol

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

Is your Pyro in the down pipe or in the exhaust manifold? I have never seen a place put one in the passanger side manifold? I have one but I am a bit of a gauge *****...:hehe:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thermocouple is the right name for the pyro, but in a previous post you said the pyro was in the pass side and the boost thermocouple was also in the wrong place also. Sorry. :doh: I thought you were talking about both the pyro and the boost gauge were in the wrong place. I just didn't want to be giving any bad input to you. And I agree, make sure to see if the thermocouple is in the manifold or the pipe. It will make a difference on what you are looking for as far as temps. As for everything I have seen, before turbo is best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my pyro is in the Passenger side manifold. looked at it again last night to make sure. pretty freakin wierd. so would it be wise to move it to the driver side or what?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
my pyro is in the Passenger side manifold. looked at it again last night to make sure. pretty freakin wierd. so would it be wise to move it to the driver side or what?

No, your fine just so long as it is in the MANIFOLD, not the down pipe. The passanger side on mine tends to run a bit hotter then the drivers side... Weird huh?:doh::dunno::icon_ford:

·
Registered
167 Posts
No, your fine just so long as it is in the MANIFOLD, not the down pipe. The passanger side on mine tends to run a bit hotter then the drivers side... Weird huh?:doh::dunno::icon_ford:
yes im positive it is, and that is weird.:dunno: thanks for the input

·
Registered
361 Posts
:worthless[1]:
sorry, i had to.
Are the GS series you put in super bright? love mine, but I wish theyd dim a lil more than they do. somethin could be loose tho:dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts