Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, please indicate the mileage you are seeing in your truck: city, highway, or overall. I'm quite interested in getting a used 6.0 if I can justify the expense via better mileage. So please indicate: year, mileage, all performance related mods, and all suspension/wheel/tire mods. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
At $4.59/gal it's hard to justify any mileage. Regular gas is $3.75/gal. Youd have to be getting 22.4% better than your 87 octane counter part to break even. so that means vs a F150 I'd have to get 17mpg to break even. Remember it's all about how you drive these big trucks. drive them kinda normal like every other idiot on the road and you'll be about 10mpg. drive like grandpa and squeak by with 16. I say buy a good cheap used 1500 and the money you save on the price tag will pay for the fuel hikes.

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
In my 07' crewcab shortbox, with stock suspension and tires, and no performance mods (just a zoodad), I'm seein' 15 city, 18-20 hwy (unloaded), and 16-17 hwy (pulling 2 place trailer w/ 2 quads on it, about 1200#)

Hope this helps.

Oh, and to get 18-20 hwy I am driving "like a grandpa", 60 mph in a 65 mph zone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
See sig for the truck... In brutal city traffic (Atlanta) 13mpg, normal city is about 16, highway 20. If you can keep the truck moving, it's fine, but when you have to stop and go there's no getting around the fact it weighs 6000lbs and takes a lot of energy to accelerate.

What do you drive now, and what do you tow regularly?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My '03' 6.0 Dually weighs 7,610lbs with 1/4 tank of diesel no driver and nothing in the bed. I have the 4.10 axle and 235/85-16 tires. I get 17mpg around town and 21-22 cruising on the highway. But I have a very light foot. Not slow but smooth. I can't complain about mileage but the cost of diesel is totally out of control. I read this AM that China is buying up diesel to supplement coal fired power plants. I can't sell my truck so I might be brewing my own soon.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think this China blame game is B.S. I'm not buying it. I can understand 5-10% from last years prices. but double the price in 12 months... GTFOH. It's robbery, rape, whatever you call it. we walk away sore. I bought my 07 exactly 1yr ago. and Hind sight is always 20/20 but if I knew then what I know now... I would of bought a F150, XLT Xcab. Or maybe a 2003 TRD Tacoma. I know a crap load about that taco engine. I had a 94 4runner with a Dana 44 front axle, 35" Mt's, 7" of lift and custom metal bumpers and sliders. That truck did 15 city 19hwy with 140k on the clock with just a little "help" :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't mean that China is the only party at fault. Certainly, the big Oil companies and the producing countries are raking in the profits.

But we are collectively at fault and no one else. We are pissed at every else for taking advantage of our own inability to manage our thirst for oil. How come every soccer mom and her sister has to have an Expedition, Excursion, or Explorer? Not to mention most guys commuting to a white collar desk job has an F-150 getting well under 20mpg.

I tow and haul almost every weekend but most guys I see around are driving with a clean bed, clean hands, clean shirt, and the ball on the back of the hitch is spotless clean. I can't believe I'm the only guy that greases his ball :) Seems to me like most people could be driving a Fusion or a Focus, or a Prius getting at least 30mpg.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
jacksD3- You are correct. However even if we drive Fusions... the market would adjust, and they'd still take advantage of us. The fix is make our own oil, not down size the vehicle to the point where if gas go "up" you can't do a dam thing b/c you already drive a lawn chair. I view downsizing a vehicle as a temporary fix to a long term big problem. it's like putting a patch on a pipe... eventually the patch will rupture again... later on. the problem is people that hate us, and we hate them, have what we need and they know it. That is the nerve that needs to be cut. not hybrids and such. Granted those are good too, but the core problem is the oil itself and where we get it from. Weather it be 1 drop, or 1 billion barrels a day we get it from the same people. We need to make our own oil, at home and conserve it/monitor emissions for our own level of quality.

I would love to see the day where we can fill up at an American gas station/company with American fuel, and drive an american Hybrid vehile like the Escape Hybrid. closed loop american system and everyone wins, even the environment b/c we monitor everything from point A to point B, and we cut out shipping crude oil across oceans when we can pipe it which is cleaner and safter for everyone, even the sea. I don't see how a system like that can be wrong. Hippies, animals, motorists, jobs everyone wins, full circle (except the saudi's). And at $5/gal, and in the middle of an econmic slow down re-organizing the oil infastructure would be a great time for the companies and the econmy. Yet again, another win win.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I get 16 no matter how I drive mine I love my truck and hate driving anything else it is all about weather or not your willing to pay for the fuel.

·
Registered
568 Posts
my truck info is in my sig im getting 15 mpg driving like a grandpa - not too bad considering im running 38 swampers. (mostly freeway)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments folks. I was talking to a buddy of mine this weekend. He has an '05 King Ranch F-250 Shortbed and 3.73 gears. He also has 275/70/18 Goodyear Wranglers on it. He gets 16 city/highway because he drives 80 on the highway (he loves the sound). I did the math with this little equation. If I buy 20 gallons of gasoline for my truck it will cost $77 at $3.85 a gallon. If he buys 20 gallons of diesel it will cost him $90. Now, if I get 12 mpg city/highway, I will go 240 miles on that 20 gallons. With his truck, he will go 320 miles on 20 gallons. That's 80 more miles for only $13. I think it's worth it to me and I appreciate the help. The only bad thing is, no one wants a gas guzzling half-ton right now and the thing depreciated so much (thanks to Nissan offering a $5000 rebate on the Titan right after I bought it) that I won't get much more for my trade than I owe (I got a really good deal).

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just to give you a update. Last night I did a 125 mile trip home. At 75 I get 17mpg, at 65 I get 18 mpg, and at 55 I got 23mpg. Aerodynamics kill ya in these things. I drive a 1500 2008 GMC 2wd with a 4.8 for work and it gets 18mpg hwy driving it at 80, a/c on... pretty fuel efficient truck IMO. You have to drive the diesel and gas truck differently to obtain mileage.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to give you a update. Last night I did a 125 mile trip home. At 75 I get 17mpg, at 65 I get 18 mpg, and at 55 I got 23mpg. Aerodynamics kill ya in these things. I drive a 1500 2008 GMC 2wd with a 4.8 for work and it gets 18mpg hwy driving it at 80, a/c on... pretty fuel efficient truck IMO. You have to drive the diesel and gas truck differently to obtain mileage.
I get 12 at 70, so the SD is still the clear winner :D. Thanks for the update brother.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts