Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everybody else out there was getting for gas mileage?? I have got an 05 F250 6.0 diesel, 8 inch lift withh 38" tires. Air intake, full RBP exhaust, SCT Livewire with custom tunes from DJ's (always on tow tune). And I can't seem to get any better than about 10 mpg... So now it that diesel is getting up over $4.08 a gallon, it takes me $100 to fill up, and I get about 250 miles per tank. Ya I think you know where I am going with this. So what is everybody else getting? and what can I do to get BETTER mileage??? Please help...

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
What gearing are you running in the rear with the 38's

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whatever that factory gearing is?? I thought about getting it regeared this summer, but I am not even sure what to gear it at??

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
With the 38"s i would regear to 4.30s from the factory it probably has 3.73 gears

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
That would put you close to stock gearing again and get you up to about 14 or so if you are getting 10 now

·
Registered
999 Posts
take lift and tires off and dont go over 35's u will gain a decent amount

Matt

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
how do you know its 10mpg...have you recal your speedo?.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i would regear it if you really care about it. any thing over 35's you really should

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
First you should definitely regear. I am getting ready to go to 37's myself (this week), and have the regear not far behind.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I would NEVER take the lift and tires off, so that is not an option I guess... I know its about 10 mpg because when I fill up the tank (25 gallons) I get 250 miles before its empty... hmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
I would go to 4.30's and figure about $1800 or more to have it done

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
I would go to 4.30's and figure about $1800 or more to have it done
You could re gear it yourself. Ive helped do it in a jeep. It you know someone with some tools and a press and You Follow the directions Labor would be free. Its tricky if you have never seen it done. I helped do it once and I think I would tackle the job with an extra hand no problem. I know was a small jeep but the basics of the job stay the same I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
With 35's I'm getting 15.6 around Tampa. and my meter is dead accurate. I couldn't imagine going bigger than 35's in terms of MPG's. I think a factory 275/60/20 to a 35x12.50 is a good range of tire for practicalness.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you recalibrate your speedo to account for the 38s? Try going easier on the skinny pedal

·
Registered
62 Posts
i get like 17-18mpg. i try to take it easy as much as possible though

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya I try to take it easy MOST of the time...Never really gotten any better than about 10-11 though...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am in the same boat, 8" Fab-Tech with 37" Toyo's. SCT tuned to "Street" everything else stock. And am getting about 10 mpg. And yes, I did recal the Speedo using the SCT.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts