Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of guys throw out fuel mileage numbers, but most of you guys have lifts and 37's. Driving normally (not romping on it all the time) what kind of mileage are you guys getting with the Spartan Tunes and the RCD tunes with a max of 35" tires. The most I plan to do (once I actually upgrade to a Diesel) is a leveling kit and 35's, but the first thing I will do is get a tuner and delete the DPF. I'm just trying to get a feel for realistic mileage expectations on the truck...

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I drove from Kennesaw, GA to Louisville, KY and got 21.5 mpg hand calculated with the 275 tune in early March of this year. This was on bald 325/65/18 (35/13.00/18) Nitto Terra Grapplers and a 2.5" leveling kit. Around town I see 13-16 depending on the area, traffic, etc. On the highway I see 16-20 depending on my driving habits. 21.5 was the most I have ever gotten with my Spartan setup that I have actually recorded.

·
Registered
570 Posts
10/15 stock, 12/18 with SCT & Spartan both are within 1/2 mpg of each other

·
Registered
156 Posts
around town 14 mpg
highway 16

Hand calculated. That is with the 210, I get about 30 to 50 miles more out of a tank of diesel witht the 275 tune, but the tune shifts so harsh i don't ever use it.

35" tires
20" rims
2" lift

avg around 365 to 490 miles per tank. That is topped off on a 30Gallon tank. The 490 was all highway on the 275 tune. I was getting around 310 miles a tank stock. Job 1 truck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas mileage is the ONLY area I can give an edge to the Cummins... Guys running a Smarty programmer and a DPF delete are getting very good mileage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gas mileage is the ONLY area I can give an edge to the Cummins... Guys running a Smarty programmer and a DPF delete are getting very good mileage.
I thought we were talking about diesel trucks:doh:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
It's also an inline 6, instead of V-8 like our trucks, and not to mention the weight difference (Ford being heavier). That helps a little bit with Cummins fuel mileage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought we were talking about diesel trucks:doh:
I know what you're getting at... This truck is going to be my daily driver/work truck and I put over 25k miles a year on my trucks. I can't see getting another half ton and getting only 14-16 MPG when I can get better mileage and much more power out of a Diesel. Plus you can't get a true crew cab half ton without getting like a 4' bed. I have friends who can take me to Auction and I can pick up a slightly used truck for a really good price so I won't be paying as much of a premium to get into a Diesel as most other people do. I'm looking at all aspects of these trucks, but so far the Ford is way ahead simply due to the fact that they can make so much power on just a Tune, and more importantly that they can do it without breaking...

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
around town 14 mpg
highway 17.5

Hand calculated. That is with the 210, I get about 30 miles more out of a tank of diesel witht the 275 tune, but the tune shifts so harsh i don't ever use it.

35" tires
20" rims
2" lift

avg around 365 to 430 miles per tank. That is topped off on a 30Gallon tank. The 430 was all highway on the 275 tune. I was getting around 310 miles a tank stock. Job 1 truck.
Damn I would go broke at that rate. I pull 475-500 miles average mixed driving out of mine. Have pulled almost 600 out of a stock 30 gallon tank on the way to the TS event back in may

·
Registered
569 Posts
around town 14 mpg
highway 17.5

Hand calculated. That is with the 210, I get about 30 miles more out of a tank of diesel witht the 275 tune, but the tune shifts so harsh i don't ever use it.

35" tires
20" rims
2" lift

avg around 365 to 430 miles per tank. That is topped off on a 30Gallon tank. The 430 was all highway on the 275 tune. I was getting around 310 miles a tank stock. Job 1 truck.

With those figures you're only getting 12-14 mpg

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm getting around 16.50-17.00 mixed with the sct. Thats on 38's too.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I'm getting around 16.50-17.00 mixed with the sct. Thats on 38's too.
He is asking the guys with 35" and smaller tires on leveling kits :thumb: That is great mileage though :nod:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first tank with spartan and dpf cat delete was 15.28. My truck has stock 20's. This was mostly on highway and taking it easy. This was on the 210 tune. So far it's not what I was hoping for but truck only has 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
My first tank with spartan and dpf cat delete was 15.28. My truck has stock 20's. This was mostly on highway and taking it easy. This was on the 210 tune. So far it's not what I was hoping for but truck only has 5000 miles.
The 210 tune is decent for fuel mileage. The 275 tune will yield better highway fuel mileage. :thumb:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Im so jealous. I came to visit relatives in florida from indiana 2 weeks ago and now im going back to indiana. I got 13 MPG on way down here. And now im towing a trailer back aswell. Going to cost almost 600$ in fuel to go there and back. I cant wait to get back to work and get a spartan

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,812 Posts
The 210 tune is decent for fuel mileage. The 275 tune will yield better highway fuel mileage. :thumb:
Yeah but how do they do in city/short trips? is the 210 better then the 275? I live on a Air Force base and drive about 15 minutes to work everyday and 15 home.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My bad, I thought he was asking what kind of mpg the sct and spartan guys were getting. I'm very pleased with the mpg since I switched tuners I've picked up 3 mpg over my previous tuner.

·
Registered
327 Posts
With those figures you're only getting 12-14 mpg
Ok, so I wasn't the only one that noticed that as well.

With my 08 Job 1 with the small lower valance on 35" toyos, 20" rims and a 4" lift I see 13.5 city and 18 on the highway with my sct running the RCD 485 tune. I saw about the same with the SCT Extreme maybe a little better but the shifting and driveability is no where near what the RCD tune is.

This is canadian gallons so it would be a little less in american gallons. However, it was still a 2mpg increase in the city and on the highway over the stock setup.

I have tracked every reciept on fuel over the last 8 months.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts