Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.75 gallons og unleaded was accidently put in my 6.0 Excursion tank yesterday and immediately followed up with 38.5 gallons of diesel to fill the tank. Will the amount of gas be deluted enough to eliminate any issues? Is there something more I should do (i.e. continue to top off tank, add a diesel additive, etc)?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
since it happened yesterday I assume you've driven it since then?

How did it run? any different than before?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
lol i would have immediately called for a tow had the truck taken to a shop to drop my tank and dump it completely dry.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i would keep topping it off, that little of gas it should be ok.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you're looking at between 4-5% gas in the tank. That's really not that much but I'd hate to tell the OP that he'll be fine (and that not be the case). Some synthetic 2 stroke oil would help dillute the dryness of the gas. I would also run a diesel additive if you already don't, even without the gas it's a good idea to run some kind of cetane boost.

·
Registered
154 Posts
lol i would have immediately called for a tow had the truck taken to a shop to drop my tank and dump it completely dry.
That much gas won't effect it. You would have $400 into a tow and shop fees for nothing. People are quick to panick. If it were mine I'd put a lil trans fluid in tank to help lube injector and pump. Diesel has lubricant in it where gas doesn't and drys lines out.

Like i said, too much panic for nothing. You will b fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It drove just fine...I'll continue to top off the tank and throw some cetane boost in just in case. What ratio of 2 stroke or transmission oil do you use?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally In my 19 gallon tank I put about 200 to 300 ML (1/3 of a jug) to a full tank of fuel. Once every 5000km (Every time I do a oil change). I'm sure someone will chime in with "the proper amount" to run.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You will be fine. I use to add gas to my diesels all the time and just add a lubricant. Just make sure it is less than 10%
I only did this in the winter months to help with fuel gelling

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
That much gas won't effect it. You would have $400 into a tow and shop fees for nothing. People are quick to panick. If it were mine I'd put a lil trans fluid in tank to help lube injector and pump. Diesel has lubricant in it where gas doesn't and drys lines out.

Like i said, too much panic for nothing. You will b fine.

I had an old man tell me he adds a quart of trans fluid to every tank and has never had any injector problems with over 200k miles on the truck. Your the second person I have heard mention this. Has anyone else heard of this? What are the pros and cons of adding this to the fuel?

Yerby111 - Dont sweat it man. Known people who have done the same thing. They just topped off the tank and added some diesel kleen.

Thanks!

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
The only question is: how safe is it for the o-rings? I don't know I have thought about throwing in Marvel Mystery oil but the same question comes to mind.
The BEST thing you can do for the injectors is keep your oil changed at 5K and run a cetane boost lubricant. Dont worry about Hokus Pokus stuff.
Just my honest opinion.............

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh the woes of visiting New Jersey. The other day I pulled into the Valero on Route 460 in Fairfield, got out of the truck, told the attendant to fill it up with diesel and went into the store when I came back out the attendant was fiddling with the key pad on the pump, didn't think much about it, asked him if it was full. He said he top it off so I saw him pull out the diesel hose, he pump some more, and said that was full. Gave me the receipt and I drove off to the hotel and staying at, 1/8 mile away.
Next morning I get up get the Parkway, after a few miles it starts missing, hesitates on acceleration, and I notice when I do accelerate I get a big black smoke, pulled off at next intersection called AAA, towed to Ford dealership, and $800 later they tell me everything is good. They drained the tank, flushed the system, changed the filters. I also had them do an oil change just in case. Is there anything else I need to be aware of.
The Valero won't do anything unless I can produce the receipt, which the attendant only gave me the second one for 6 gallons of diesel, and of course you cannot get the original receipt through the credit card company, because if they do a request it's on a voluntary basis for the merchant to produce it.
PS. Why did the engine light not come on? Or was the missing and black smoke a clue this old brain should have noticed.
Any thoughts are welcome
just found the purchase posted on my credit card, $68 for the first purchase, so I guess that's about 17 gallons of gas before the 6 gallons of diesel

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
This is exactly why I always pump my own gas. When I go through New Jersey, I watch them and make sure they don't screw anything up. I have a locking fuel cap and I have to remove it and double check which hose they are using. I only fill up at high volume locations when on the road, i.e. truck stops, and I use the same stations when at home to avoid bad fuel as much as one can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts