Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else with the fx4 package notice the limited slip in the rear rarely(if ever) locks up and spins both? i've been noticing more and more that only one will grab and no matter what i do ( wether it be on ice, snow, mud or a brake torq rolling into it easy or flooring it) it rarely will grab both..... so my question is WHAT THE HELL DID I BUY AN FX4 FOR IF IT WONT LIMIT THE SLIP ON A LIMITED SLIP?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've noticed mine to be almost the same way except when I have done a few good rolling burnouts... :burnout

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I was very impressed with mine the other day towing my 10K toy hauler in the mud....it threw mud up both sides the trailer perfectly!

·
Registered
84 Posts
It does just what it says, limites slip. Not locking. There was a commerical on T.V. not long ago that showed the difference. A locker put down something like 1000 ft/lbs of force. Our limited slip put down around 100 ft/lbs.
Don't quote me on the numbers, but it was a big difference.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mine threw some decent mud the other day in east Tx, the really sticky clay mud!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Mine threw some decent mud the other day in east Tx, the really sticky clay mud!

Thats where I tossed the mud at...up in Jacksonville at Mud Nats....towing my trailer up that hill going to the back.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine does the same when the diff is cold. Do a brake torque and heat it up and watch it, it'll lock in. My dad done his so bad, they stuck locked in, until it cooled back down and freed up. I believe that's why they work when your towing, they get heated up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I NOTICED IT ALSO I HAD 1 TIRE ON THE ICE IN MY DRIVEWAY AND ONE ON THE BLACK TOP AND I WAS STUCK! I BROUGHT IT TO THE STEALER FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND TOLD THEM ABOUT IT! THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL THEY TRIED TO GIVE ME A BS STORY. I SAID WHY DID I SPEND $300. FOR A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTAL A REGULAR ONE WOULD DO THAT. ON MY NEXT OIL CHANGE I WILL TRY A DIFFERENT DEALER SEE WHAT THEY SAY. OTHERWISE I WANT MY $300. BACK!!
I TRIED SPINNING THE TIRE FASTER TO HEAT IT UP, AND IT DIDN'T EVENT TRY TO ENGAGE. BUT IF YOU STEP ON THE GAS IN THE DIRT IT WILL SPIN BOTH TIRES! I DONT GET IT?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I NOTICED IT ALSO I HAD 1 TIRE ON THE ICE IN MY DRIVEWAY AND ONE ON THE BLACK TOP AND I WAS STUCK! I BROUGHT IT TO THE STEALER FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND TOLD THEM ABOUT IT! THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL THEY TRIED TO GIVE ME A BS STORY. I SAID WHY DID I SPEND $300. FOR A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTAL A REGULAR ONE WOULD DO THAT. ON MY NEXT OIL CHANGE I WILL TRY A DIFFERENT DEALER SEE WHAT THEY SAY. OTHERWISE I WANT MY $300. BACK!!
I TRIED SPINNING THE TIRE FASTER TO HEAT IT UP, AND IT DIDN'T EVENT TRY TO ENGAGE. BUT IF YOU STEP ON THE GAS IN THE DIRT IT WILL SPIN BOTH TIRES! I DONT GET IT?
its not a locker spanky... it only can hold a small difference between the two tires, when you have one on very slick surfaces, and one on pavement, you will have issues. an old trick is to lightly apply the brakes while trying to roll forward.
However, nothing is wrong with your rear end. when both tires have similar amounts of traction they will both spin, one that level is shifted so that one tire has a dramatic difference, only that one will spin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts