Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ok try to make this short. Current truck details are in my sig. Ficm tuner is in the mail from PHP. Only have a 48v ficm though. Long term plan for my truck, I want to make upwards of 600hp, hopefully closer to 700. My plan for that goes something like this:

MTW stage 2
190cc injectors
Airdog 150 w/ RR
Dual hpop
Tranny upgrades

So I have 2 questions.
1. What are the tranny upgrades I'll need to be safe up to 700+ hp? I have next to no knowledge of transmissions.
2. What else am I missing?? Do I need an intercooler? What else??

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Im no expert but I think the MTW stage 3 just put over 600hp (638 or something iirc) with it, so you will at least need the stage 3 and probably 190/100 sticks. As far as I know the dual hpop would be unnecessary. May not need the tranny right away if you dont abuse it, but with that kinda power a built tranny will have to happen eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Hey guys, ok try to make this short. Current truck details are in my sig. Ficm tuner is in the mail from PHP. Only have a 48v ficm though. Long term plan for my truck, I want to make upwards of 600hp, hopefully closer to 700. My plan for that goes something like this:

If you want closer to 700rwhp, then you need atleast a stage 3. Stage 3 with 190/100 has made 650rwhp, I will be running 205/150 so you'll be able to see what that will make.(my guess 680-690rwhp) Of course you will need transmission then for sure and a true locker for rear. The truck will be able to be a daily driver but it will be a handfull. Any wet roads and you might as well consider the roads solid ice, on freeways at 70mph you will need to roll into it a fast stab to floor and you will be going sideways. With our diesel trucks it's not so much the horsepower that gets you in trouble, it's the torque.

I personally think that for street combo 550-575rwhp is the best. Still use the stock tranny, will still need rear end, and a shot of water meth will stick you right at about 600rwhp or just a little above. Street manners are alot better, and can drive it on wet roads, still have plenty of power to dust a ton of people.You could slam the throttle all the way down and not worry about going sideways, but still move like a bat out of he**.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course you will need transmission then for sure and a true locker for rear. The truck will be able to be a daily driver but it will be a handfull.
This is where I start to get lost. What work would the transmission need??
Any wet roads and you might as well consider the roads solid ice, on freeways at 70mph you will need to roll into it a fast stab to floor and you will be going sideways.
Duely noted. I live in Edmonton Canada, so there is the possibility of snow on the roads for 6 months of the year :S lol
I personally think that for street combo 550-575rwhp is the best. Still use the stock tranny, will still need rear end
I'd be worried about using the stock tranny over 500 lol. I can't have this truck break on me lol. What rear end work is needed for 600hp?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Replacing the stock carrier with a detroit tru trac or something along those lines will significantly strengthen your rear axle. You'll have to go through a re-gear to accomplish this.

Mad, when you say 550HP is a good DD power . . . What combo of parts works well to get there. i.e. 175/75s with a hybrid turbo?

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
These trucks need rear ends at only 550-575rwhp?
My stock rear end went at a little over 500 rwhp. If you baby them, just like the transmission, they can be ran with more power, but then what is the point of having all that power if you never use it :wink[3]:

Anything in the 500s and you have to be careful on wet roads, but I agree with Adian that over 600 hp is sometimes a handful to daily drive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacing the stock carrier with a detroit tru trac or something along those lines will significantly strengthen your rear axle.
Starting to sounds like greek to me. Guess its time for more reading haha. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anything in the 500s and you have to be careful on wet roads, but I agree with Adian that over 600 hp is sometimes a handful to daily drive.
Sounds like I'm adjusting my expectations of my DD truck. 550-580 hp is sounding better, considering my location and use of the truck.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll have to go through a re-gear to accomplish this.
I don't have to change the ratio, do I? Mine is still the stock 3.73, and I don't wanna loose hwy mileage by increasing the ratio and having hwy rpm jump a lot lol

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I don't have to change the ratio, do I? Mine is still the stock 3.73, and I don't wanna loose hwy mileage by increasing the ratio and having hwy rpm jump a lot lol
No, you just have to remove and reinstall the gears, but you can get different gears if you want.

·
Registered
948 Posts
No, you will not have to change your ratio. You can order a carrier to accept which ever gears you like. You will need an install kit with new bearings and adjustment shims for the carrier.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok good. I still haven't decided if I want to keep 3.73 or move up to 4.10 for a touch more low end power lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you do that you'll have to change the front as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whose dual HPOP?
Don't know yet. Still in the research phase. Might be quite a while still before I pull the trigger on the upgrades.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I think 175/75% and a stage 2 with Billet wheel is going to be a better option/solution to the wanted HP/ streetablility choice then the hybrid..

If im wrong, please Adrian or Matt correct me:sofa:

But that is my future build plan!

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
I think 175/75% and a stage 2 with Billet wheel is going to be a better option/solution to the wanted HP/ streetablility choice then the hybrid..

If im wrong, please Adrian or Matt correct me:sofa:

But that is my future build plan!
Yup this is where I am going too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts