Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start out my Truck is a 02 F250 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 with a banks 6 gunner and 200,000 miles of love.

I was running back and forth to Cali from Arkansas a few weeks back bringing cars back on my trailer when going up to Flag Staff from the California side I was holding a steady 75 mph in a very heavy tow when I got a funny noise. At first I thought It might have been the turbo overheating so I pulled off and let the truck idle for about 20 minutes to let the turbo cool off. But as I continued the noise didn’t go away. The sounds follow the turbo boost. What it sounds like is a deep wind noise or even a deep version of someone blowing over a straw when in a drink. At full boost 14-15psi (which when the truck seems to struggle more to get too) an almost mechanical noise sort of clatters with the wind noise. This isn’t constant it only happens once and a great while. Also the fuel millage has been constantly falling to where I filled up last tank which was amost 7mpg from a comfortable 17mpg. So I pulled the intake side apart I couldn’t find any pin holes or any other signs of leaks. Before ripping back into the truck I would like to have ideas to look for. Can I get some help????

Josh

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
That doesn't sound good. Bumping this up for ya so someone who can help will see it.

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Maybe an exhaust leak? Check your down pipes coming from the back of your turbo to your intake manifold... Check for any black smoke you see anywhere else on your exhaust too. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me bro

·
Registered
153 Posts
well what you are describing sounds like what happened to me today when my turbo went bye bye. it sounded like the wind howling by a window.
is it blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Any unusual smoke?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smoke

No smoke, just the noise and bad gas milage on the highway. My boost doesn't seem to be as high anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine started making a similar noise soon after I put an aftermarket intake on. That was two years ago and I have not had any problems yet.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Does it sound like an electric fan running? Also, does it keep going after you have reached the peak, or does it keep going for a little while?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did you check all the boots to make sure you haven't blown a boot off or partially off?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked all the boots and no holes and i reinstalled them all. I have no smoke, atleast nothing more then normal operations.

THe window sound you say is a great way to discribe it, plus add a sound of someone blowing over a straw in a glass (with a liquid in it) which pulses and thats the noises.

My milage is slowly dropping. It was close to 20mpg and now I am around 13mpg. When I tow, my milage back in the day was still around 20mpg but now its like 5mpg. which is bad news expecailly with gas prices. and the other symptom is an almost a blow off valve noise that chatters and my boast guage will flucuate heavy while it does that noise(but very rare and only while on heavy load) . And the last symptom is my boost is maxing out around 14psi and it used to be around 17psi.

I took it a shop and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, but as i drove it away the noises were not present. (isn't that how it works)

So i am thinking of tearing the intake, exhaust, and turbo down with the weather being nice (central Arkansas). Any suggestions?

Also my ideas of a potental problems.
- A partially open waste gate? and it flutters
- A EPV? (exhaust pressure valve?) closed or partially closed?
- what about that tube on that exhaust presure valve?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one last sympton is that my on the free way boost was averaging 7psi before and now it is close to 2psi

·
Registered
70 Posts
sounds like a blown turbo to me
Remove the intake from the turbo, and reach in and grab the nut holding the compressor wheel onand see if you can sladie the chra and wheel in and out. or upa and down. if you can moved it then your turbo is blown. I just blew the turbo in My MR2 that sucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts