Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys im a member of the Belton Volunteer Fire Dept. and we are always trying to find a way to raise money for our Dept. now i know this is wierd but just bare with me.. I know motorcycles have runs and stuff where they ride and raise money for stuff as a matter of fact we just did one and it did ok.. But i have been kicking around the idea of doing something also like this but it involve diesel's like a weekend gtg or something if anybody has any ideas let me know i would like to see alot of strokers invade my city

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
Ok guys im a member of the Belton Volunteer Fire Dept. and we are always trying to find a way to raise money for our Dept. now i know this is wierd but just bare with me.. I know motorcycles have runs and stuff where they ride and raise money for stuff as a matter of fact we just did one and it did ok.. But i have been kicking around the idea of doing something also like this but it involve diesel's like a weekend gtg or something if anybody has any ideas let me know i would like to see alot of strokers invade my city
I always thought a diesel poker run would be cool.....but that was before the $$$ of diesel went to hell. :doh:

·
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what i was thinking but instead of the huge drive there is a dragstrip about twenty minutes away and we could go there and just get on it and then camp out that night and party and then every could go on there own way or even just turn it into a whole weekend event

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
I've raced MANY times at Little River - cool place to run. Plenty of shade and a fun place to hang out.

·
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know its a pretty cool place to go i go out there almost every weekend thats where the video in my sig was shot at

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Depending on what sort a community you have there, you might consider doing a 5k/10k run/walk. That sort of thing down here would literally get you thousands of people out to support your cause.

Try getting in touch with a running shop and see what they can do for you. Also a cycling or triathlon shop would be able to help you out.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You should do something very easy open house barbeque. Takes alot of work from the department members. But you can open up the department let the kids climb all over the trucks and mess with the equipment. It brings the community closer to the department. If you have a local police department get them involved too. See if they will supply a couple squad cars and a couple officers for the day.

You charge something like 5 dollars a plate, cook up a pig as the main course. You do this you will make the most money.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You should do something very easy open house barbeque. Takes alot of work from the department members. But you can open up the department let the kids climb all over the trucks and mess with the equipment. It brings the community closer to the department. If you have a local police department get them involved too. See if they will supply a couple squad cars and a couple officers for the day.

You charge something like 5 dollars a plate, cook up a pig as the main course. You do this you will make the most money.
Now that's a great idea! Gotta love community involvement.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I agree with the BBQ idea. That actually works. My buddy used to sell fire equipment and we would go to those things all the time and donate used equipment. I never saw a dollar amount but there was plenty of people at all of them and I actually had a pretty good time at them. It was just like barchetta said. They had BBQ plates, moonwalks, silent auctions and a couple of trucks for the kids to check out.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
In a small town called Ida Michigan. On labor weekend there is a festival called the Ida Homecoming. Well the firedepartment has a beer tent and bandshell there. Every year they do this.

I am not saying to go all out, but you can do it with a slow pitch softball tournament, horse shoe tournament, get some games for the kids, dunk tank from the local highschool to raise money for the athletics department, let the local VFW or American Legion have a bingo tent there for the seniors, before you know you will be making money for new equipment and all sorts of stuff.

Because of the festival in Ida they have not asked their community for a new tax levy in years. But yet they have new trucks, new equipment, and now they even do a wild game dinner in the winter for donations. Just an idea for you.

If you don't think it works then ask yourself, why do all these churches do chicken broils or chicken barbeques, or in my area all you can eat fish frys.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
well thats what i was thinking but instead of the huge drive there is a dragstrip about twenty minutes away and we could go there and just get on it and then camp out that night and party and then every could go on there own way or even just turn it into a whole weekend event
That is a good idea, You could probably get LPS, Sooners and the Louisiana folk to partake. Would it be just for dept funds or is there something specific the dept is trying to purchase or do?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Good idea Too. Great idea actually

·
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JUST REGULAR DEPT FUNDS FOR EVERYTHING

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Years ago, I worked for a San Antonio based steel company,I was their outside rep in the central Texas area. I lived in Waco, But spent allot of time in Temple/Belton and Killeen/CC.
Nice place. Lake Belton sure was pretty.
Good luck with your idea's

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
I like the idea of using the track, but get the whole area involved, have a BBQ, fire & police equipment on display, a show & shine, just a little bit of everything for everybody!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good idea Too. Great idea actually
I have to agree sounds like a good idea... maybe you guys could lug all your equiptment down to the track and have the bbq involve strokers and your community.

I dont know if this is possible due to liability issues but, can you offer rides on the firetruck? I know when I was little I would have traded christmas for a ride on a real firetruck!

If thats possible I say add that to the mix!!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have to agree sounds like a good idea... maybe you guys could lug all your equiptment down to the track and have the bbq involve strokers and your community.

I dont know if this is possible due to liability issues but, can you offer rides on the firetruck? I know when I was little I would have traded christmas for a ride on a real firetruck!

If thats possible I say add that to the mix!!
The problem I see is taking all that equipment from the station. This would cause longer response times if there is an emergency. But if it is done at the station, you have a crew on duty to respond. You keep the trucks in tact and on display. The extra gear you display on a table and let kids try it on. You can not tell me your department does not have a couple scba's or fire jackets, boots and the other turn out gear available to display and let kids play with.

Park the trucks outside of the fire house. This opens up the bays for tables for seating. That way you can set up a buffet style serving line. Roped off so nonpaying visitors can't steal food.

Giving kids rides on the truck could be a liability issue depending on the departmental policies.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would agree the fire house sounds best... My main point was the truck rides!! ha ha!

If that is possible... that would be pretty sweet!

·
Registered
371 Posts
How about hosting a fireman competition with neighboring departments invited. Hose fight with the ball on the line. Maybe some axe and ladder competitions. Maybe do this while you're having the BBQ. Maybe get an even bigger crowd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts