Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when is a good time or at what mile point should I change the fuild and filter? and what is the best trannine fuild? what about a deeper pan? and can this be done by a do it your selfer?
o I have a F450 stake/dump and I do alot of hauling and pulling

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
The external tranny filter should be changed every 15k miles, while the fluid should be changed at 60k miles. Mercon-V is the fluid, available from Ford; I wouldn't use substitutes as this is a synthetic fluid. It takes 15 quarts of fluid which should be plenty; if you need additional cooling, add another tranny cooler not a deeper pan. I've changed my fluids and filters myself and it's easily done by a do it yourselfer... Post up if you are having problems.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Well, to confuse the OP lol...I think I remember marc telling me to do the external every 30k, but hell it's so easy and cheap might as well do it every 15 or 20k. I was under the impression to only run mercon sp and the whole system including TC is 24 quarts total and that a deeper pan like the mag hytech will keep the tranny substantially cooler. I asked a guy over tdg if a bigger pan kept his tranny cooler and he said it did by a lot. Think it held an extra 8 quarts. But a :thumb: on the do it yourself. :doh:

click here for more info

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
The external tranny filter should be changed every 15k miles, while the fluid should be changed at 60k miles. Mercon-V is the fluid, available from Ford; I wouldn't use substitutes as this is a synthetic fluid. It takes 15 quarts of fluid which should be plenty; if you need additional cooling, add another tranny cooler not a deeper pan. I've changed my fluids and filters myself and it's easily done by a do it yourselfer... Post up if you are having problems.
What tranny are we working on here, a Torqshift (6.0L) or a 4R100 (7.3L)? Since you mention the external transmission filter, I'm assuming you are referring to a Torqshift. These transmissions DO NOT take Mercon V. They take Mercon SP. Also, bear in mind that there is a cooler bypass valve that comes into operation during cold engine startups as controlled by the TCM to bring TFT (transmission fluid temperature) up to operating temperature which also disables torque converter clutch operation. With the torque converter clutch disengaged due to TFT being too low, that also increases fuel consumption.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
What tranny are we working on here, a Torqshift (6.0L) or a 4R100 (7.3L)? Since you mention the external transmission filter, I'm assuming you are referring to a Torqshift. These transmissions DO NOT take Mercon V. They take Mercon SP. Also, bear in mind that there is a cooler bypass valve that comes into operation during cold engine startups as controlled by the TCM to bring TFT (transmission fluid temperature) up to operating temperature which also disables torque converter clutch operation. With the torque converter clutch disengaged due to TFT being too low, that also increases fuel consumption.
wow. that's cool. didn't know that.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, where is that external transmission filter located and how often is it supposed to be changed. thanks, I'm a new guy.
2004 F250 FX4

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Hey guys, where is that external transmission filter located and how often is it supposed to be changed. thanks, I'm a new guy.
2004 F250 FX4
Welcome to the Org. Brewster! :thumb: Don't know much about the 6.0s. I know I have an external one on the return line from my cooler. Installed by FORD as a requirement with a remanufactured tranny. I'm sure you will get your answer soon.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The manual says to change the trans fluid and filter every 30k miles.

Mine is coming up on 90k miles so I'll be doing the same :)

·
Registered
953 Posts

The fluid is MERCON SP, not the V. The Mercon SP is the synthetic, and is factory filled by Ford in the Torque Shift.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
that has already been clarified.

·
Registered
703 Posts
follow your trans cooler lines from the trans to the cooler and you will find the external filter element..its just in front of the engine crossmember inside the right side frame rail..22mm wrench if i remember correctly..5 min change..you should only lose a 1/10 of a qt if that..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts