Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 F-250 and I went to fuel up for the first time and the diesel just sat in the fill neck and kept switching off the pump like it was full. After a 15 minutes I was finally able to get 5 gallons in but it was topped off to the brim. Any suggestions on fixing this? My first diesel and I can’t find any answers on fixes...TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a vent line on your tank with possibly a check valve in it. Dont quote me on the valve though. Only owned my 2011 for about 3 months now.. Still learning! Check out that line.

Let us know what you figure out!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ummmmmmm.....what was the fuel gauge reading when you stopped to fill up?

The vent line doesn't have a check valve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummmmmmm.....what was the fuel gauge reading when you stopped to fill up?

The vent line doesn't have a check valve.
Gauge was sitting in between 1/4 and E on first attempt. Started pumping like I normally would about $1 in it kicks the pump and shuts off so I check and the foam is halfway up the nozzle. Pulled nozzle back out and waited a few minutes for it to settle then started again and had to keep doing it until I got just enough fuel to get home.

Tried fueling again last night same issue but it took me 40 minutes to get $30 in there before the neck filled up drove around to another station and neck was completely drained so I tossed in another $30 and took just as long. Drove away, gauge moved just a bit and about 1/4 mile away fuel must’ve dropped in tank cause the gauge jumped up a little more than 1/8 of a tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a vent line on your tank with possibly a check valve in it. Dont quote me on the valve though. Only owned my 2011 for about 3 months now.. Still learning! Check out that line.

Let us know what you figure out!
That’s my next task to check out and see If vent line is kinked or clogged up. Visual inspection I couldn’t see much soI maybe dropping the tank is my best bet.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You're not trying to put fuel in the DEF tank are you?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard that lol, figured I'd ask.

Reactions: 6.7_Jorge

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe the gauge isnt accurate and the tank is actually full?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the gauge isnt accurate and the tank is actually full?
That’s a possibility but a slim one. I fueled up yesterday top off the fill neck twice and the gauge jumped up both times. So I’m dropping the tank right now checking the hoses make sure they’re kink free.

·
Registered
145 Posts
good luck, let us know what you find

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yay...glad you found it and it wasnt an object inside blocking the hose...that looks crushed...wonder if previous owner had the tank off before or its been like that since the factory...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yay...glad you found it and it wasnt an object inside blocking the hose...that looks crushed...wonder if previous owner had the tank off before or its been like that since the factory...
It looks like the tank might have been off before but either way it was a pain in the a** getting that damn thing down. Replaced and now to get it back in its place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used my floor jack and some boards to get mine back up high enough to get the straps on...sucks doing it by yourself

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I think you may have a gauge problem also. $60 of fuel has to be more than 1/8 tank...

Check the sending unit while you have it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts