Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gauge wasnt working so i replaced the sending unit, it didnt fix it so i bought a secondary digital fuel gauge in hopes that the problem might just be in the cluster, but it seems like the reading on the digital fuel gauge is a steady 35%....any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
On one of my 6.0 trucks years ago my fuel gauge would work on and off with no consistency. It would work perfect for a few days and drop down way below empty and the fuel light would come on. I also replaced the fuel sending unit with no luck. I also changed the whole cluster with not luck.

So i started at the fuel sending unit and checked the voltage (cant remember what the correct voltage was because it was years ago). I made sure it was getting the correct voltage and worked my way from the tank to the cluster. I checked the voltage at every connection, I even cut the wires about every 5 feet to make sure I could narrow down a short if there was any (yes I fixed them afterwards). I finally made it up to the cluster and the voltage was reading correctly. There appeared to be nothing wrong and I was pissed. Then when I got everything back together everything was working and the problem never came back...

I never figured out what was wrong but I assumed there was a short or a bad connection that fixed itself why I was messing with everything.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it was full it showed 3/4, and when it was near empty it showed a little less than 1/2, and thats after the new sending unit, but the new digital one is on 35%

Can you describe "not working" a little better.

Is it stuck on full?
Stuck on empty?
Works on and off?
Reading the wrong fuel at all times?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts