Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Excursion - 7.3 powerstroke - 4WD - aft of axle fuel tank

I must have picked up some garbage in the fuel tank. Is there an access plate/opening in the rear floor area to permit removal of the fuel pick-up assembly or do I have to drop the tank? OR, do you have any suggestions for cleaning the tank without removal?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You will have to drop the tank. I use a floorjack with a piece of 1/2 inch thick plywood that is about 1ftx1ft on top of the jack. I remove the two bolts that hold the fueltank straps up. There is one bolt per strap that you have to remove. Then I lower it down just slightly. I then remove the fueltank filler tube and the vent tubes and then I disconnect the electrical and the fuel lines from the tank. Then I lower the tank completely to the ground. Drag it out from under the truck. Using a big pair of channel locks I remove the locking ring. Then I can remove the pick up assembly.

Yes it is easier to do this when the tank is empty.

Once the pick up assembly is removed you will see a big fuel screen on the bottom take that off and clean it. Then you will see a white canister remove that and open it up. In there you will find two smaller fuel screens. You need to clean those. Then clean the canister. Then you can reassemble everything.

When you go to put the fuel pick up assembly back in make sure you have the big o-ring that seals the locking ring ok. Sometimes it falls into the tank then you have to fish it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to time constraints, I was afraid of that. But, I guess it's the only way to make sure all the garbage is out and the tank is clean. Thanks for a speedy reply. -john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts