Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at making my own DIY fuel system for my 06. I've been having a ton of injector problems and I'm thinking its a combination of 130k on the original fuel pump and the stock fuel system not being able to keep up with the 160 injectors and a tune.

I've been looking at the regulated return systems and got to thinking that I could fairly easily build my own. I'm an aeroquip dealer and can crimp all of my own hoses. The stump I've run in to is finding the size on the banjo bolts in the heads. I'm hoping to put a couple 90 degree adapters to AN fittings and bypass the stock filter housing completely. I'll run a pair of parallel 10 micron filters just before the lines enter the heads to catch the fine particulate before it hits the injectors.

I also need to know the size of the plugs on the rear of each head. Also going to do a return setup with a regulator.

I've been looking at a few different fuel pumps, but really have no idea what pumps are good for the kind of flow these things require. I've always done carburetors in the past and old school gassers, so I haven't really had to deal with anything over 12 or 13 psi.

What fuel pumps are people running with success? I want something better than what my current setup needs, I will probably modify more later down the road when I don't have to use the truck for work anymore.

What water/air separators are pretty reliable. I'd like to keep the pump and water/air setups separate so I can upgrade or replace them individualy, so the FASS and airdog setups aren't what I'm looking for. I also figured that I could build a similar setup myself for a good bit cheaper.

Thanks ahead of time for any advise. I'll update as I plan this thing out.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The Airdog and Airdog II are getting rave reviews. I have a FASS which is LOUD and NOISY, but it's doing the job. There are TONS of threads on fuel systems. 6.0's take a MINIMUM of 45psi to keep the injectors alive. As far as doing it cheaper, you might do the lines, but Airdog II is a doggone decent price and Charlie is very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to diesels. Do some research on the forums. CompD has a ton of fuel info from guys that have BTDT. I'm running an ITP RR with a FASS and it takes some juggling, but it's more than enough fuel for 175's. FWIW......the secondary fuel filter from the factory is 3 micron.

·
Super Moderator
9,961 Posts
The AirDog II will solve the pump issues. The fittings you need are M12x1.5. I'd recommend you run the AirDog II at 60 PSI to start, run the output line to a "Y" fitting (say -8 or -6 ports). Then run 2 additional -6 port "Y" fittings with lines to each of the ports on the heads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AirDog II will solve the pump issues. The fittings you need are M12x1.5. I'd recommend you run the AirDog II at 60 PSI to start, run the output line to a "Y" fitting (say -8 or -6 ports). Then run 2 additional -6 port "Y" fittings with lines to each of the ports on the heads.
Thanks, thats the info I was looking for. I'll probably run -8 from the pump up to a Y that splits into two -6 hoses to feed the front of the heads, then run a -6 out of either head on the back to the regulator and a -6 from there back to the tank. Should be enough for more flow than i will ever need, but thats what i'm shooting for. I'd much rather over engineer it than wish i had done bigger later on...

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i have an airdog feeding a raptor, off the raptor it runs into a y block with 2 -6 lines off to the front of each head. i was going to do a cross over line in the rear but didnt ( no need to heat the fuel up for no reason) and thats it.

airdog-raptor-y block-lines to heads..no fuel pump in the rail, no fuel bowl up by the motor and no return line back to the tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have an airdog feeding a raptor, off the raptor it runs into a y block with 2 -6 lines off to the front of each head. i was going to do a cross over line in the rear but didnt ( no need to heat the fuel up for no reason) and thats it.

airdog-raptor-y block-lines to heads..no fuel pump in the rail, no fuel bowl up by the motor and no return line back to the tank.
Are the raptor pumps internally regulated, or should I get a separate regulator to go after the pump? That sounds like about what I'm looking for. I'll probably still do a crossover in the back, just because I'm all about the overkill...:crazy:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
yeah the raptor is regulated..so imo there was no need to have a regulator return to regulate my already regulated raptor..does that makes sense? LOL

i had my trans out this week and i still opted to not do the cross over line. some swear by it and some done..theres alot of heat back there for sure so thats why i decided against it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I do, I'll probably put some header wrap around the two up pipes and the first little bit of the down pipe, just to keep the heat in the pipe where it should be.

·
Registered
427 Posts
fass or not

sorry to jump in but when do i need an upgraded pump kit. i have a sct w/ insanity tune, 4"mbrp,egr delete,zoodad, stock injectors. will the stock system run dry under extreme power outputs??

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
you are ok with that on stock stuff..its not a bad idea to get your fuel pressure up though. stock its like 45 or something but drops like 5psi lower at WOT.

with upgraded the system then you have the ability to get some hotter tunes and not worry about pressure drop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a bunch of fittings from my aeroquip distributor today. They don't offer a 12mm to -6 in a 90 degree, so I got some 12mm to -4 90's for the front and rear of the heads. I'm going to put them in the press and open up the insides a little before I put it together, and adapt it up to -6 on the front with bushings so I can run 3/8 hose to the front of either head. I'll leave the 1/4" on the back, bring it together with a y into a regulator, then do 3/8 from there back to the tank.

So the system will flow in this series, 5/8 from the tank to the pump (fass or airdog), 1/2 from the pump to the first regulator, 1/2 from the regulator to a Y that splits the 1/2 to two 3/8 feeding the front of each head. 1/4 from the back of each head to another y that takes the two 1/4's into one 3/8 or 1/2 (undecided) to the return regulator, 3/8 or 1/2 from the return regulator back to the tank.

i'm probably going to use the 1/2" fuel pickup tube from diesel manor, and might run 1/2 from it to the pump instead of 5/8, but we'll see.

Like I said, I know this is big time overkill from my current setup, but if i'm going to have to tear into the fuel system anyway, why not build it right this time, and never have to touch it again. i'm planning on building the truck up for some big time power later on down the road, so I'll put the system to full use then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thats alot of hoses :hehe:

you may want to check out this site..they like alot of hoses as well

Trusted Performance Your Diesel Performance Manufacture for 6.0 Power Stroke Performance Parts or 60 Powerstroke Engines
Thats the truth, but after working on tractors, skid steers, excavators, etc... a crowd of hoses really doesn't bother me all that much anymore. That and I figured the running my own line from the return regulator back to the tank, I could avoid running another hose back up across the top of the motor to connect to the stock return line...

I think my plans are pretty close to what they call the stage 3 kit. I do like the fuel/oil filter housing delete kit. If i wasn't planning on setting up a remote mount oil cooler and pitching the stock junk I would look into that...

·
Super Moderator
9,961 Posts
The AirDog II has a regulated output that you can adjust to your desired pressure. Since you are adding something of the sort why add all the additional regulators?

·
Registered
427 Posts
i've heard the stock system has a regulator that limits pressure? how do i get around that? thanks for the input:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The AirDog II has a regulated output that you can adjust to your desired pressure. Since you are adding something of the sort why add all the additional regulators?
Ignore the first regulator. I drew my plans up using a different pump. The only regulator outside of the internal on the fass/airdog will be the return regulator... :doh:

·
Super Moderator
9,961 Posts
i've heard the stock system has a regulator that limits pressure? how do i get around that? thanks for the input:
It doesn't limit pressure since it's located inside (sort of) the top mounted fuel filter. It will return fuel to the tank at 45-55 psi.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It doesn't limit pressure since it's located inside (sort of) the top mounted fuel filter. It will return fuel to the tank at 45-55 psi.
how do i keep my pressure up in the heads at all of the injectors? one of the regulated return kits? which ones the best for the 6.0> thanks everyone

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how do i keep my pressure up in the heads at all of the injectors? one of the regulated return kits? which ones the best for the 6.0> thanks everyone
If you are running stock injectors just swapping your hfcm out for an airdog 2 or FASS will make it able to keep up. When you go to larger injectors and a hot tune, the stock fittings become the limiting factor and a good regulated return opens it all up. It all depends on how much fuel needs to get through.

What I'm doing is overkill for anything that most people will need, including me. I'm planning WAY ahead on this one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts