Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been in the 6.0 world for the last 6 years, the 6.0 finally broke down enough that my wife insisted that I buy a brand new truck, I know hard life right :grin:. So I now have a 6.7 that I am daily driving the first 1000 miles to break in following the instructions that ford gave. So here is my question, generally I am a low mileage truck driver as I have a fusion hybrid for my daily driver, in the 6.0 I used a fuel treatment to act as a fuel stabilizer, I have used both Stanadyne and currently have been using Archoil AR6200 for the 6.0, I found the stanadyne difficult to use due to the meauring requirements being difficult. I need to use something for the fuel in the 6.7 but also do not want to potentially contribute to any engine issues, I am happy to use the ford recommend PM22 but can find no reference to helping stabilize the fuel.

Is there a good fuel stabilizer that is recommend by ford will the PM22 work well?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
103 Posts
I came from the Cummins motor not to long ago. I always used the Diesel Kleen but prior to putting in my powerstroke I was looking on here and other places. The consensus was no for that so I looked for something else. I bought some Optilube to try out in the smaller pre measured containers. To be quite honest with you, I haven't noticed any difference in performance, mileage, or anything else it claims to do. The containers I have say half bottle or full bottle per tank. I tried half bottle the first batch and then moved up to the full bottle per 48 gallon tank. Like I said I didn't see any difference between half, whole bottle, or nothing at all. I'm running the summer blend so I don't know if that's the difference or not. Maybe their winter blend is the bees knees that everyone claims it is.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I always used the Diesel Kleen but prior to putting in my powerstroke I was looking on here and other places. The consensus was no for that
I have not seen that consensus here. Granted I have not searched every thread. A number of folks seem to believe there is nothing wrong with using it. Especially since Cummins approved it.
I am genuinely curious because I typically use the winter formula.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Recommend by Ford? Prob not.

I was running arch oil as a water de-emulsifier. It has no Cetane in it.

I decided to switch to Hot shot secrets, it is a de-emulsifier and Has cetane. I have to say, regents are down, and mileage is up slightly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Recommend by Ford? Prob not.

I was running arch oil as a water de-emulsifier. It has no Cetane in it.

I decided to switch to Hot shot secrets, it is a de-emulsifier and Has cetane. I have to say, regents are down, and mileage is up slightly.
I'm going to try it. Had my first regen on my 19 3 days ago at about 280 miles on the clock

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
People need to explore other brands to get what works best for your motor. I have found Howe's is working great for me.
Howes is a good product. We ran it in all our trucks and equipment as an anti gel. Our stuff was older, so it helped with lubricity as well when they took sulfur out of diesel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I am only really concerned with the fact that in my old 6.0 I could go a couple of months between fill ups with only a 32 gallon tank, now it is 48 gallons it may take even longer. I just want to make sure I am keeping everything fresh. I am tempted to run the Ford stuff or continue using my Archoil, honestly never seen any mileage improvement or noticed the truck running better, just a case of knowing I am keeping the fuel in top condition.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
I run Howes Meaner Kleener in the summer and Howes Diesel Treat in the winter. All purchased at fleet farm or Menards.

I operate 3 diesels (1- ford 6.0, 1 ford 6.7 and a little diesel jetta).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
now it is 48 gallons it may take even longer. I just want to make sure I am keeping everything fresh.
Top it up when you get to 1/2 tank. I don't use but maybe 20 gallons a month in the winter so, to keep condensation from forming, I top up the diesel and DEF at half tank. More volume means less temperature fluctuations in the tank.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I think I've tried 5-6 different "fuel additives" the only difference I ever noticed was with this:

Diesel Kleen being used in the winter helped my truck get maybe 1mpg. Winter diesel is blended differently to reduce chance of gelling and you loose ever so slight mpg and power. Diesel kleen brought it back but I only saw the benefit in winter blends. so now maybe 2-4 times a year I'll use diesel kleen. I do use it on road trips when at unknown gas stations but can't say I do it every fill up at all that's for sure.

Its affordable and available everywhere. Is it the best I don't know but I recorded the slight improvement in winter use so its been a good deal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Top it up when you get to 1/2 tank. I don't use but maybe 20 gallons a month in the winter so, to keep condensation from forming, I top up the diesel and DEF at half tank. More volume means less temperature fluctuations in the tank.
I have been wondering about doing just that, I could just top it off once a month nothing saying I have to use all the tank before refilling, in the summer I always fill up before I connect the trailer regardless of how much I have in the tank. It also avoids the massive shock when I actually have to pay for that much diesel :crying: I am assuming the fuel light comes on at about 40 gallons used.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Regularly keeping the fuel tank full or nearly full as often as possible during the winter/cold months is a good practice for all vehicles to help avoid developing any water in the fuel (diesel or gas).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
People need to explore other brands to get what works best for your motor.
Great advice!

Lots of variables go into what does or doesn't work best. For me, after using practically everything in my 6.0, on my 6.7 I've settled on a concoction of Ford's PM22 and Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. My objective is to provide the CP4 as much good lubrication as possible (and to stave off water issues).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts