Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I might get heat for this but have been running off road #2 500ppl tapped from basement fuel oil tank for about six months now, got tired of lugging 5gallon cans for my tractor that is where I came up with this bright idea for my 6.0l:doh: What I just found out is "home fuel oil" is acually 1700ppl according to my distributor and couldn't tell u how many gallons I have burnt:confused: Anyone else run this in 6.0l? Perfomance wise doesn't seem to hurt, idle seems be a little smoother though

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
:bump:Id like to know if this could damage anything, if not, you may have stumbled on something useful. If it don't hurt anything heating fuel might be cheaper to run than diesel.:nod:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Thats what #2 diesel fuel is, heating oil, the same red dyed stuff we run in our farm tractors! Not supposed to use it on highways or public roads, unless you pay the tax. Highway patrolman have been known to "dip" your tanks around livestock auctions, farm sales, etc. If you get caught, it is a hefty fine! Can't say I havent been tempted myself, but don't want to take the chance.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Thats what #2 diesel fuel is, heating oil, the same red dyed stuff we run in our farm tractors! Not supposed to use it on highways or public roads, unless you pay the tax. Highway patrolman have been known to "dip" your tanks around livestock auctions, farm sales, etc. If you get caught, it is a hefty fine! Can't say I havent been tempted myself, but don't want to take the chance.
Ditto.......

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yep I know a couple guys doing this. Saves about $1 a gallon he said. It's something like $10,000 for your fine if you're caught. Around me they dont dip trucks like ours, but they do hit the big trucks. My father was stopped numerous times in the company truck (bucket truck) and dipped...

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
What about the sulfur in it? Would that much hurt anything?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Sulfur is the lubricant as I was taught. That's why they say the new ULSD offers nothing in the way of lubricity.

·
allergic to hot weather
1,208 Posts
the home heating oil is not the same as #2 off road here.
the new laws are the off road fuel has to be ulsd also but home heating oil does not so here we have ULSD and jet A (home heating). i have burned any and all in my trucks (7.3 and 6.0) and had no problems.
the jet A was our winter fuel here before the ULSD came into my area so no harm will come from that unless you have or get a 6.4

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the home heating oil is not the same as #2 off road here.
the new laws are the off road fuel has to be ulsd also but home heating oil does not so here we have ULSD and jet A (home heating). i have burned any and all in my trucks (7.3 and 6.0) and had no problems.
the jet A was our winter fuel here before the ULSD came into my area so no harm will come from that unless you have or get a 6.4
I was always under the the impression that #2 off road was the same as home fuel oil until the debate came up at work, and when I called my distibutor fuel oil that day was 3.99 gallon and off road #2 was 4.16 and Exxon that day was 4.79

1 - 9 of 9 Posts