Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I`m about to tackle my first FP replacement (not a machanic) and I`m really concerned about dropping the tappet in the engine that I read about here. Any special tricks of the trade I could use to prevent dropping it? When the key is turned on I should hear whirling noise for 2 or 3 seconds, all I hear is a click from the relay but no noise from the pump. I drained the fuel bowl and turned the key on several times but not a drop of fuel in the bowl. Yet the truck runs fine. WT? TIA

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
We have mechanical pumps, not electric like SD's. SD pump fuel when the key is on, our trucks have to be running to pull fuel. I have never swapped a pump, so I can't give any advice on the tappet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have mechanical pumps, not electric like SD's. SD pump fuel when the key is on, our trucks have to be running to pull fuel. I have never swapped a pump, so I can't give any advice on the tappet.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The tappet you are refering to is what is actuating the pump. It is driven up and down by a lobe on the camshaft. The relay you are hearing is the glow plug relay. I have replaced the fuel pump in my truck twice and have just been careful to try and pull the pump straight up as much as possible.

If you want to really be careful you can bump the starter by jumping the two large lugs on the starter relay (passenger side fender)...This will spin the cam shaft and push the tappet up into the pump, rather then the chance of having the tappet fully extended.

If you are not careful it CAN fall out and has on a couple guys...But its not like if you breath too hard it falls out either.

Good Luck,
Casey

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tappet you are refering to is what is actuating the pump. It is driven up and down by a lobe on the camshaft. The relay you are hearing is the glow plug relay. I have replaced the fuel pump in my truck twice and have just been careful to try and pull the pump straight up as much as possible.

If you want to really be careful you can bump the starter by jumping the two large lugs on the starter relay (passenger side fender)...This will spin the cam shaft and push the tappet up into the pump, rather then the chance of having the tappet fully extended.

If you are not careful it CAN fall out and has on a couple guys...But its not like if you breath too hard it falls out either.

Good Luck,
Casey
Thanks, I feel a little better about it then. I put a new FP housing on but I`m only getting 5 to 10 psi. at the FPR (new) Any ideas on why? I drained the bowl and the truck started right up so I don`t know if it`s FP or not. TIA

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I have replaced the fuel pump in my truck twice and have just been careful to try and pull the pump straight up as much as possible.
Ditto, lift as straight as possible, do not rock the pump side-to-side, or you risk the tappet and tappet casting snapping off in the bore, making a very nerve-racking extraction

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I've done several of these.
To add to what's been said, remove all the fittings etc from the pump before you remove the 2 pump hold-down bolts. Then, remove the bolts and leave the pump alone. THEN bump the starter and watch the pump. The cam should push the pump up off it's seat. When it reaches here stop bumping the starter. This will hold the cam lobe up and you won't drop the tappet in.
The pump might lift itself up when you remove the 2 bolts if the cam lobe is already up. We're only talking 1/4" - 3/8" or so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done several of these.
To add to what's been said, remove all the fittings etc from the pump before you remove the 2 pump hold-down bolts. Then, remove the bolts and leave the pump alone. THEN bump the starter and watch the pump. The cam should push the pump up off it's seat. When it reaches here stop bumping the starter. This will hold the cam lobe up and you won't drop the tappet in.
The pump might lift itself up when you remove the 2 bolts if the cam lobe is already up. We're only talking 1/4" - 3/8" or so.

Good luck.
Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. It will help a lot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
95 fp

i dont mean to hi jack but i need to replace my fp on a 95 and was wondering if it is the same . ive never done one so i need as much info and pictures as poss. thank u

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont mean to hi jack but i need to replace my fp on a 95 and was wondering if it is the same . ive never done one so i need as much info and pictures as poss. thank u
There are lots of recent threads that will help you with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ditto, lift as straight as possible, do not rock the pump side-to-side, or you risk the tappet and tappet casting snapping off in the bore, making a very nerve-racking extraction

darn that bring back painfull memory :doh:
been there, done that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts