Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here and to diesel tech in general. I now have a 2000 F-350 7.3L that I acquired to pull a race car with. This weekend I was driving it and it started blowing fuel from underneath it and completely dumped a bunch of fuel somewhere from around the back of the engine area when I pulled over. My dad says he had a similar issue on his '07 F-250 7.3 and it turned out to be a lift pump.

I've looked and looked for info about a lift pump on the 2000 model and finding very little info. But I find lots of info about the fuel pump. Does anyone know where the location of the lift pump is on my 2000 model? Does that sound like the likely problem? Could it be the fuel pump instead?

I can find tons of stuff on fuel pumps and how to change them on YouTube and all over, but nothing that tells me where the lift pump is on the 2000 and how to change it out. Would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Drivers side mounted in/on the frame. Lay down under the truck and look up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If its coming from the back of the engine I would start by looking up top in the engine valley and see if you have a fuel leak up there thats draining down the back of the engine and to the ground as its designed to do via the drain hole. There are a couple places for a fuel leak to occur up top. If it's your fuel pump(no lift pump on a 7.3L) it'll be leaking from the pump which is inside the frame under the drivers seat area. The OEM pump is a Bosch 69136, there about $90 and easy to swap. You dads 2007 would be a 6.0L not a 7.3L and the fuel pumps are different.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's in the valley of the motor possibly the fuel bowl cap o ring blew out
Get a new filter and cap
And fuel bowl rebuild kit and pull the bowl.
Check out guzzels7.3 website on pulling the bowl and rebuilding it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Super dutys have a single fuel pump on the frame rail that is it.

Like tray said fuel cap oring, fuel drain valve, or passenger side rear fuel line got a hole in it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its coming from the back of the engine I would start by looking up top in the engine valley and see if you have a fuel leak up there thats draining down the back of the engine and to the ground as its designed to do via the drain hole. There are a couple places for a fuel leak to occur up top. If it's your fuel pump(no lift pump on a 7.3L) it'll be leaking from the pump which is inside the frame under the drivers seat area. The OEM pump is a Bosch 69136, there about $90 and easy to swap. You dads 2007 would be a 6.0L not a 7.3L and the fuel pumps are different.
Actually dads truck is a 7.3L powerstroke, it may be a '98 but he bought it new in late '97 and has owned it ever since so we are positive what motor it is.

My issue is not a small leak thats draining down the back, it literally dumped gallons of fuel after i pulled off the road.

Thanks for the responses, I'm even more confused now though lol.

I guess my main question at this point is: Does my truck have both a lift pump and a fuel pump or only the fuel pump?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Only fuel pump is on the frame rail.
From the amount of fuel I'm going to say the passenger side fuel line has a hole in it. But best thing to do is pop the hood. Crawl up into the engine bay and take a look. Have someone cycle the key real quick and look for leaks.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Check your build date on the door. If it's 98 you have a super duty. If it's 97 you have a obs and your in the wrong section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your build date on the door. If it's 98 you have a super duty. If it's 97 you have a obs and your in the wrong section.
My truck is a 2000 model. The post talking about 97 or 98 was talking about my dads truck because he had a similar issue and it was a lift pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only fuel pump is on the frame rail.
From the amount of fuel I'm going to say the passenger side fuel line has a hole in it. But best thing to do is pop the hood. Crawl up into the engine bay and take a look. Have someone cycle the key real quick and look for leaks.

You say "only fuel pump is on the frame rail"...so are you answering my question and saying that there is NO lift pump, only a fuel pump?

I KNOW WEHRE THE FUEL PUMP IS FOLKS LOL :smile2:

My question is: IS THERE ALSO A LIFT PUMP ON A 2000 MODEL 7.3? AS IN, IN ADDITION TO THE FUEL PUMP???? IF SO...WHERE IS IT???

I'm not trying to be a jerk, especially as a newbie to the site, but I feel like a lot of people are responding without actually reading my post and questions...just assuming what it says. But I do appreciate the feedback and other possibilities to check for. I just would also like to know if there is a lift pump on my model from the factory so that I can also eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
We have told you numerous times there is only the pump on the frame. Pop the hood and crank the truck or cycle the key and look in the valley of the motor if you can't find a fuel leak that big or this confuses you, you might want to seek professional assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
13,052 Posts
Op, you need to be more specific.

This is a 99-03 forum. 99-03 have an electric pump mounted inside the frame rail pretty much directly below the driver area.

The 94.5-97 obs trucks have a mechanical pump mounted in the engine valley.

The body style between the two are vastly different.

And for both trucks, neither have a 2nd pump.

These are not common rail where there is a lift pump feeding a CP3 or P pump, etc like on a cummins or much later powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
First you said this>

My dad says he had a similar issue on his '07 F-250 7.3 and it turned out to be a lift pump.
Then duffster tryed to set you straight on this that an "07" (I made it bigger so you could see what you wrote) is a 6 liter and NEVER EVER WAS a 7.3
You dads 2007 would be a 6.0L not a 7.3L and the fuel pumps are different.
Then you wrote this;
Actually dads truck is a 7.3L powerstroke, it may be a '98 but he bought it new in late '97 and has owned it ever since so we are positive what motor it is.
You may be positive what motor it is but you got your years screwed up.

My truck is a 2000 model. The post talking about 97 or 98 was talking about my dads truck because he had a similar issue and it was a lift pump.
I KNOW WEHRE THE FUEL PUMP IS FOLKS LOL

My question is: IS THERE ALSO A LIFT PUMP ON A 2000 MODEL 7.3? AS IN, IN ADDITION TO THE FUEL PUMP???? IF SO...WHERE IS IT???

I'm not trying to be a jerk,
You say your not trying to be a jerk but guys are trying to help you but you continuously are giving wrong information and then beating up on these guys for not telling you what your asking when in fact your asking where the lift pump is, these guys are continuously telling you there isn't one (as evidenced by the fact you couldn't find a YouTube video on one)

AND YOU JUST KEEP ON ASKING!

Now if the shoe were on the other foot and someone was telling you all that and you kept trying to help him and he snapped at you would YOU think he was a jerk? Just curious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts