Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gang, I need some input. I have a 2004 F350 with a 6.0 Turbo Diesel. I have a Banks Exhaust system. The truck has run great until recently. I took it in for service, oil change, fuel filter change, tranny flush and filter change two months ago. When I got it back I noticed that it ran pretty rough when it was warming up but then better after it was warm. I figured hell I don't run to well either at -12 either so fine. Then the shifting problems started in. It wouldn't shift out of first until 2500 RPM then out of second until 2500 RPM again where previously it had been shifting around 2000. So I called up the dealer and explained what was going on. He said bring it back. I was on my way there when it died. I had it towed in. They found the following wrong: Only one of the two fuel filters had been changed and when they changed it they cracked the housing and left off an o-ring which caused fuel leakage. One of the injectors was out. The EGR was out and the air filter was shot. They replaced all the fuel filter elements gratis but the rest cost me $1500. I get the truck back and it still isn't running right. On my way back to the dealer it dies again. After getting it towed in a second time they claim now that the fuel pump is shot. So now to my salient question. Based on all of the collective wisdom and experience of those on this forum, can there be a viable connection posted between the failure of the pump and the previous repairs? In otherwords, shouldn't they have found the pump first and then checked the other stuff because if the pump fails the codes are going to be displayed for the EGR and Injectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If you had fuel leakage then you very probably had low fuel pressure OR it started sucking air OR both. Low fuel pressure and air can directly contribute to injector failure. IMO they very easily could have damaged the fuel system by their actions and should therefore be responsible. The EGR (and air filter) could have very easily been out on it's own, but I'd wail and scream about the fuel pump and injector AND charging you for changing fuel filters when they only changed ONE since they come two to a set. I'd be *****ing about the transmission shifting since they did the "service" on that too. I wonder if they changed the auxillary filter on the transmission or just left that too? Depending on the dealership they may or may not have changed it, but I would definitely raise cain about everything. Remember---the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as an update. After getting the truck back, and paying for everything myself, I went to the two dealerships I was dealing with. One couldn't get it right so they sent it to another. Well the dealer that actually fixed it is the one I had the problem with, as they weren't being honest with me about what was actually wrong etc. So I went back to the original dealer that I bought the truck from. I explained the situation to the Service Mgr and how I really wasn't happy. How somewhere along the line someone wasn't being honest with me. He did some checking into things and got back to me yesterday. They decided to pay for the fuel pump, the Air filter, the fuel filters and all the labor to try to make it right. I was pretty pleased with that. I ended up paying for the Injector and the EGR but that was about the same price as the fuel pump and Air filter combined so I am pretty satisfied with it. They did their best to make it right and that's what counts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts