Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel return screen was all gunked up and I cleaned it and tried to start my truck. It still ran rough till I switched it to my rear tank. Then the idle smoothed up more. It still isn't idling perfect. The fuel bowl has a bunch of gunk in the bottom of it. I want to clean the fuel bowl and do the bb fuel pressure mod to see if that helps too. It might have clogged lift pump screens which is starving the truck of fuel. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Knowing the fuel pressure is important, doing modifications without knowledge is like shooting in the dark -- you may hit something, or damage something

"gunk" in the screens and fuel bowl, could be algae -- either way it needs to be cleaned out

I have had problems at the fuel change valve with rodent damage to the fuel hoses in the past on my old truck

a clear piece of hose with a loop(to trap bubbles) connected to the fuel return at the filter housing may let you know if the fuel line is damaged

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have 15 psi of fuel pressure on the rear tank, and I don't have any pressure on my front tank. Are my lift pumps dead or is my cam-driven fuel pump dead?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There are no lift pumps in the tanks. The only pump is the 2-stage mechanical pump (cam driven) in the engine valley. You should get at least 25 psi when cranking. Due to the difference between tanks, your "showerhead" pickups in the tanks may have disintegrated (pretty common in our age of trucks) and the trash could have migrated into the lines and transfer valve causing restrictions. You may need to drop the tanks, and blow out the lines and valve. With everything cleaned out, if the pressure is still low, you may need a new pump. Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Thank you for the information. I will be sure to do this. I currently have the bed off, so I won't have to drop the tanks. How do I open up the tanks and pull out the pick up screens?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts