Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hating fuel prices right now... pretty much anything that's a staple in life is sky rocketing. I have my own take on it... and I'm prett sure others are on this wagon with me. But it's kind of funny how the housing market crashed, b/c people were buying places on speculation, and then the Fuel prices start soaring. Let's face it. the Dooche bags that were in the housing market are now running the fuel market. It's these dam pencil sharpening investment firms. They should be locked up. what they are doing is market manipulation and are getting away with it. Kind of funny how the FTC isn't on this... they make some press statement for the newspapers that oil will be $900/barrel in 3 months... bla bla... they keep pushing the issue. But guess what??? All things that boom, go bust. But I will admit they latched onto a good product... the consumption/sales are pretty steady and needed. however, there will be a bust point, just like housing market did. you don't see houses today at $1million dollars... b/c they were $700k the year before... But this doozy that we're in is going to take some real work to make it go bust.. but it will. WE as americans need to work extra hard to screw THEM back. :nod:

-Make the most out of trips. think ahead in terms of stops, supply needs etc. Shop for food every 2-4 wk intervals vs 1wk intervals. Make stops on your way home from work while the car is at operating temp and efficient.

-Budget cuts. Make budget cuts from whatever you can/want. Basic cable, or even NO CABLE! Cut out Sodas and beer. I'm drinking stictly water & coffee now. It's cheaper and better for you. I even down graded from Brand name coffee to store brand coffee; can't tell the difference and it's half price. I even stopped eating at fast food places almost all together.. yet again.. better for my health and saves money and gas. Pack your lunch to work. You save on the gas and the food bill. :thumb:

-Drive slower, less and don't use a/c around town. inflate them thur tires up to spec when cold in the morning before pulling out of the driveway and check them 1x week.

-Run your A/C at home a few degrees warmer this summer. or don't run it at all. opt for open windows and a box fan to pull current through the home. I'm opting for no A/C this summer. that will def save.

I'm sure there are more things we can do... just overall be cheap.

·
Registered
555 Posts
OK, Ill go on a diet too.... Then oil prices will go down... Thanks for solving the country's problem!
I don't get where speculation fits in with fuel prices... I speculate to go just as far on a tank of fuel as I did when it was a dollar cheaper!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
all those things make it easier to afford the fuel at a ridiculous price. that right there is my answer to "You can afford to drive that big thing?" Yeah i quit throwing so much unappreciated money at my girlfriend and cut out energy drinks and fast food almost 100% That's like $50 a week give or take, after nearly a month, a tank of fuel :nod:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Thats all common sense stuff that people who value how hard is to earn a dollar are already doing??? :shrug:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Turn the air UP? No friggin way man. I'm a diesel tech in Florida. I sweat my a** off all day, I'm not gonna do that at night too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm hating fuel prices right now... pretty much anything that's a staple in life is sky rocketing. I have my own take on it... and I'm prett sure others are on this wagon with me. But it's kind of funny how the housing market crashed, b/c people were buying places on speculation, and then the Fuel prices start soaring. Let's face it. the Dooche bags that were in the housing market are now running the fuel market. It's these dam pencil sharpening investment firms. They should be locked up. what they are doing is market manipulation and are getting away with it. Kind of funny how the FTC isn't on this... they make some press statement for the newspapers that oil will be $900/barrel in 3 months... bla bla... they keep pushing the issue. But guess what??? All things that boom, go bust. But I will admit they latched onto a good product... the consumption/sales are pretty steady and needed. however, there will be a bust point, just like housing market did. you don't see houses today at $1million dollars... b/c they were $700k the year before... But this doozy that we're in is going to take some real work to make it go bust.. but it will. WE as americans need to work extra hard to screw THEM back. :nod:

-Make the most out of trips. think ahead in terms of stops, supply needs etc. Shop for food every 2-4 wk intervals vs 1wk intervals. Make stops on your way home from work while the car is at operating temp and efficient.

-Budget cuts. Make budget cuts from whatever you can/want. Basic cable, or even NO CABLE! Cut out Sodas and beer. I'm drinking stictly water & coffee now. It's cheaper and better for you. I even down graded from Brand name coffee to store brand coffee; can't tell the difference and it's half price. I even stopped eating at fast food places almost all together.. yet again.. better for my health and saves money and gas. Pack your lunch to work. You save on the gas and the food bill. :thumb:

-Drive slower, less and don't use a/c around town. inflate them thur tires up to spec when cold in the morning before pulling out of the driveway and check them 1x week.

-Run your A/C at home a few degrees warmer this summer. or don't run it at all. opt for open windows and a box fan to pull current through the home. I'm opting for no A/C this summer. that will def save.

I'm sure there are more things we can do... just overall be cheap.
WHY????????? Why just be cheap? Live your life like a rat so you can park your rig in your driveway (or in your case your garage now that the lift is gone). I don't get it. I do not have unlimited funds but there are other alternatives. I also understand making compromises to have your toys. I have made many but have many toys so I am happy. I bought my truck to drive so I will not park it - I also will not slow down - I enjoy driving like an azzhat so I will continue - I like going out to lunch healty or not - and I sure as hell am not going to sit around sweating drinking water and coffee (maybe beer but that isn't allowed either). To each his own but why live life this way. This is not just a temporary glitch that we are experiencing. Things are going to get worse before they get better if they ever do get better. Again everybody has to make their own decisions and if this does it for you than so be it but I just can't fathom living life this way so that I can have a nice truck that I can't drive.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear ya, FL is hot. I'm in Tampa. When I was in college and lived with some friends, sometimes we'd just run a box fan in a window to pull current thru and turn the a/c off. really helped out in the electric bills. but honestly... probly not the most do-able thing in FL.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think HorseMover summed it up perfectly! If you are living like a rat... something is wrong, and I hope you learn to LIVE your life before you die!

We all have to make sacrifices, but be reasonable! Drink water, eat brown rice and chicken, and run to work... for a year... but after ur shredded, and healthy as an ox, take a trip to mexico, and live like a mad man, and go to the beach and pull tons of....

Well you get my drift, LIVE your life, sacrifice TO enjoy life, Be merry!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I kind of feel that even with demand down they'll still find a way to keep it as high or even higher. I heard on the news that demand is down 4% than what it was at this time last year, so what's the excuse for the price being more than a buck higher?!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Oh and just a note, i've made my own decisions because it IS hard to afford to drive a nice rig. However, there are certain circumstances, i hope you don't get mad when not everyone follows you which according to you wouldn't help the situation, I have severe allergies, I need A/C. Also due to allergies i can't eat a salad. Ok you have to understand that everyone comes from a different world, so keep the preaching to a minimum. Like I said, that will not make the prices go down, that kind of behavior will make it easier for some to have their nice truck. Instead of "live this way" it should be "if you can't afford fuel try these habits" Oh and keep in mind, no matter what you buy it's still shipped to wherever you get it with a diesel vehicle, so as long as diesel prices are up EVERYTHING's prices are up. It's all a money game and consumers never completely come out on top, no matter what we do.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Here are a couple of lines from a song that i just love.

"I believe that gas, is too damn high. I believe the devil and the tax man, share the same address. I wish Uncle Sam would give a damn about the man whose collar is blue, but if he don't, hell I'll make it on my own. How about you?"

I figure if you can't afford to drive it, sell it. Live within your means and life will always be good and you can afford to turn your ac down to whatever you want. Work to live and don't live to work! :twocents:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts