Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seriously. We are now in PA returning home from three weeks on vacation traveling some2400 miles so far and the price of fuel has NOT slowed anyone down even one mile per hour.
Oddly enough the biggest offenders are the people in the Toyota Prius's (sp?) followed very closely behind by those in trucks and rv's of every size shape and description. It doesn't surprise me that those in the mega buck Prevost conversions continue to move right along, lets face it, if you have a million or so dollars that you can spend on one of these the fuel costs shouldn't be much of an issue. But the rapid speed at which all rv's are traveling run the gamit from the incredibly costly to rigs/trailers that are more associated with the working class and former working class. Class B+ units like ours to everything else ever made, new-old and in between; people are just not concerned with saving fuel and the speed limit is as ignored as it has ever been.
Ditto the boating crowd. We have been to many lakes and ocean marina's and the same behavior holds true for the pleasure boaters (there seems to be a new law that says you have to have at least 500 hp usually in the form of two 250 Honda or Yam outboards), load up, launch and the throttle goes full forward as soon as the 'no wake' buoy/sign is even along the side. Especially interesting are the bass fisherman/women, man the horsepower on some of these boats are incredible but they are like the red squirrels we see; either standing still or going full speed......
At Lake Murray, SC, the water was full of sediment when we arrived Sunday evening-you could not see bottom even in the shallow areas- and it was crystal clear when we awoke Monday morning after an evening with no boat traffic and this lake is gigantic, some 50,000 acres, think about it.

And Myrtle Beach Bike week, forget about it, as crazy as ever; perhaps even more so couldn't wait to leave, now its Amish country in PA and we are listening to horse clops rather than Harleys with no mufflers (yeah I know, loud pipes save lives) and life is very, very good.

As for us, $4.59 a gallon last fillup, its ten miles below the limit-the 6.0 sounds good at 1700 revs just wish people would stop giving me the finger.

Forgot to ask this:
if people have to clean up after their dogs, why don't the Amish have to clean up after their horses??

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I hear ya. Can't answer the Amish question, but I agree with people not making the connection about speed and driving habbits and relavance to gas prices. They cry, *****, complain about gas prices but then drive their new ugly soccer mom TURDRA 90mph. Problem is most americans can't make any behavior changes that affect their cushy life. They want others to stop using big diesel trucks so they can drive their suburban, they don't want to make any sacrafises themselves. F'k that. I've changed the speed I drive the work truck (2008 GMC 1500 4.8), the amount of A/C, the style of driving etc. I've canceled full blown 200+ mile trips in my F250 also. We run our home A/C as hot as we can stand, 79-80, 83 when we're at work. It has DEFFINATELY affected my life, greatly. These gas prices are killing me... especially being I'm on a post college salary and the fiance is not working yet.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Robert, if they keep flicking you off use the money you save and put it in a account for a set of Nathan Train Horns it will scare the crap out of them.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
gas prices stay the same were all gona be cruisin around with horse an buggy here prety soon. :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just try to avoid driving the 250 in the city at all costs. On the highway, it's not so bad (but is still double the operating cost of my Accord), but ~13mpg in congested traffic is bad news

·
Registered
170 Posts
slow downnnnnnnnnnn

I'm with you guys, I'm 22 years old and have an 07 F-250.. When I bought this truck I was hauling a$$:burnout and my wife would complain because we were spending 145 a week on fuel,,, now I cruise to work at a blasting speed of 60 mph...:zzz: Now I spend about 55 to 60 bucks a week... So if any body thinks that speeding dosent kill your fuel they are soooooo wrong.... And yea I wish the F U finger would stop.... stupid gassers...

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
it sux I basicly drive only to and from work and basicly no where else.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
So if any body thinks that speeding dosent kill your fuel they are soooooo wrong.... And yea I wish the F U finger would stop.... stupid gassers...
Perfectly said man. I think I wanna get the trainhorns just so i can scare them haha. Someone should really try to getsomething out there that stresses the coection to fuel economy and speed....its 65 for a reason, not just to piss you off ya know?!

I say go at least the speed limit, especially on normal 45 mph roads, but on the highway 60 sounds good...more lanes and people can get go around you.:tard: thats my motto.

I wish i didbt LOVE the sound of my exhaust and coal......thats my downfall right there. And im sure its a common problem with us dieselers :nod:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Y'all can go just as slow as you want, just stay over in the right lane. It's the jack offs that want to roll at 60 mph in the hammer lane that tick me off. I am way to dangerous at 60mph.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How much in fuel have you spent to drive those 2,400 miles? I'm going on a 3,400 mile round trip in July, and I'm trying to figure out on estimate for myself.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Im thinking were headed back to the 55mph speed limits being implimented in all states again. :(

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a small, 24' rv, E450 chasis, think of the typical ambulance, and averaged 13-14 mpg towing a small enclosed utility trailer.
Without the trailer 16+ plus was not a problem but remember it was following the coast down south, AND it was driving slow. The sweet spot for our coach is about 1700 rpms, which is roughly 55 mph.
I still cannot decide on whether or not to change the ratio or invest in a gear vendors overdrive, leaning to the aux transmission.
Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have a small, 24' rv, E450 chasis, think of the typical ambulance, and averaged 13-14 mpg towing a small enclosed utility trailer.
Without the trailer 16+ plus was not a problem but remember it was following the coast down south, AND it was driving slow. The sweet spot for our coach is about 1700 rpms, which is roughly 55 mph.
I still cannot decide on whether or not to change the ratio or invest in a gear vendors overdrive, leaning to the aux transmission.
Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.
I don't think you're gonna do much good dropping the RPMs any more. You'll have to compensate with a lot more throttle angle...

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Streak, I agree; if the info I have is correct from 'gear vendors' I would be able to drive at closer to 65 and maintain the lower revs in the 1700 or so range.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Don't come to Toronto then. Sometimes I wonder if all cities are like it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I paid 4.89 a gallon today in the Seattle area....:soapbox:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts