Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is proper fuel pressure for a 6.0? At idle I get 58-60 psi, cruising 65+mph I’ll get 55-56 psi, but at WOT it’ll go to ~49-50 and eventually to below 45 before I let up on the throttle. The truck has stock injectors, stock turbo, stock fuel system, and sct custom tunes. It has a very old blue spring from before I bought the truck. I have an adjustable pressure regulator from Accurate Diesel that I have yet to put on. What idling pressure should I dial it to when I put it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,611 Posts
Ford says NEVER below 45 psig. That means at WOT. My opinion is never below 50 psig.

·
california deplorable
10,504 Posts
also above 70 i believe blow orings if i remember right...i would go 65 at idle and watch it

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,611 Posts
Ford said 75 psig max. Lots of people exceeded that in the old days and didn't have problems, at least not quickly (anyone remember the Gillette spring?).

I am observing a max limit as @john galt recommended ........ just that I am going w/ Ford's 75psig on this one, even though I am conservative on the low pressure end!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I'm just curious what causes the drop in the fuel pressure at WOT. In my case it was fuel filters clogged from a bad fill up. There can also be 15 years worth of gunk in the HFCM to clean out. I now get 56 PSI cruise and can drop to 52 for WOT stock with the blue spring mod.

·
Premium Member
11,640 Posts
More fuel is being pushed through the injectors at higher injection pressures. Dirty filters only add to the problem. A full fuel tune, even on stock injectors will drop the FP quite a bit, especially right to start with. I've seen mine initially drop to ~40 psi on a WOT run, but it would begin to come back up pretty quickly. I had planned on going with the Accurate Diesel regulator or a Marty's system if I had kept the truck. I still want my son to do that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filters are clean, I forgot to clean out the water separator hole last time though. I’ll do that when I change the regulator. Planning a n doing it Sunday if I’m not to depressed from the TAMU-Clemson game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts