Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been experiencing cutting out since the first day i purchased this truck in 2013. I cleaned my screen today and it was absolutely full. I drove it after for about 25 miles because I had to run errands and it didn't improve the cutting out one bit. It did have more gidd'y'up though. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It will occur at any operating temperature, like just started or being warmed up or being driven for thirty straight minutes. It will just seem like it will cut out for a split second while accelerating at any rate, either stomping on it or just easing into it. It's like it is skipping. We thought it was injectors so we put Stage II's in it and new glow plugs, harnesses and valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Any supporting mods or tunes when you put those in? Check your fuel pressure and see what its doing and also hpop pressure. Could be IDM issue, get the truck scanned and see what everything is reading. I had a cut out issue at random but it went away and i've been running diesel kleen in my tanks and its been helping.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have been experiencing cutting out since the first day i purchased this truck in 2013. I cleaned my screen today and it was absolutely full. I drove it after for about 25 miles because I had to run errands and it didn't improve the cutting out one bit. It did have more gidd'y'up though. Any other ideas?
If the screen was full, Id clean and change o-rings of the FPR, because there also can be a lot of crud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FPR Screen

Just finished cleaning my FPR screen and found a substance that was the consistancy of old dried grease over the entire screen and also found a sliver of trash in the little hole under the screen as well. Cleaned it out completely and well see what this cleaning does along with the BB mod on the regulator.

bvmbandit :ford:

1997 OBS 7.3 289000 miles and counting HD 4 door 2WD

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just finished cleaning my FPR screen and found a substance that was the consistancy of old dried grease over the entire screen and also found a sliver of trash in the little hole under the screen as well. Cleaned it out completely and well see what this cleaning does along with the BB mod on the regulator.

bvmbandit :ford:

1997 OBS 7.3 289000 miles and counting HD 4 door 2WD
First :ORG welcome:

You will notice some difference in the engine performance. Wich is the actual fuel pressure with the mod?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is this on the 2000-2001 models as well?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
So I went ahead and did this yesterday. There was a good 1/8th inch of crap on the screen. I cleaned it off and changed the o-ring and reinstalled it. I also took off the EBP sensor and cleaned it and cleaned out the tube and reinstalled them. Truck runs much better. Definitely a noticeable improvement in sound and response. I have no idea if there is a mileage gain but I will find out here shortly.

One issue that I did encounter though is now when i go to slow down and the TC unlocks the RPM's dip real low resulting in the truck having to catch itself and in one case it actually died but it did start right back up.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
So I went ahead and did this yesterday. There was a good 1/8th inch of crap on the screen. I cleaned it off and changed the o-ring and reinstalled it. I also took off the EBP sensor and cleaned it and cleaned out the tube and reinstalled them. Truck runs much better. Definitely a noticeable improvement in sound and response. I have no idea if there is a mileage gain but I will find out here shortly.

One issue that I did encounter though is now when i go to slow down and the TC unlocks the RPM's dip real low resulting in the truck having to catch itself and in one case it actually died but it did start right back up.
Mine bogged too when I first bought it. Could be VSS or BPS. Vehicle Speed Sensor or Barometric Pressure Sensor.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts

holy **** ryan's back. and now in AK, last i knew you were in VA

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
holy **** ryan's back. and now in AK, last i knew you were in VA
Ya I tend to get around. Living in Wasilla and working Anchorage these days. Glad to be back on the ORG!

121 - 140 of 154 Posts