Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
thanks for the info guys just did this mod, the screen was clogged like crazy and wow there definitly is a difference also did the bb mod at the same time. trucks feeling great i have a 180 mile drive we'll see how this affects mpg, thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cleaned my screen out today also, sure enough plugged up, hopefully it helps I'm only getting about 11-11.5 mpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Noticed that my Fuel restrictor switch was leaking and the part is 37 bucks from Ford so I decided to just plug it. I also cleaned the Fuel Screen and it had a lot of sludge built up which was pretty easy to remove. First thing I noticed was a smoother idle and this alone makes it worth it. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently cleaned the FPR screen using the KISS system, ie, from the opened fuel bowl without any disassembly. I used a small plastic stick and just scraped the screen gently to remove the black gunk. I was pleased all the contamination came off easily after 60,000 miles of accumulation. I used an inspection mirror and flashlight to assure the screen was clean, and I was able to confirm the silver mesh screen was bright and free of the material.

One thing I noticed immediately after cleaning the screen (and changing my fuel filter with 12,000 miles on it) was that my fuel pressure dropped from about 50-60 psi at idle and while running, to about 40 at idle and dropping to 30 or so under full throttle. I suppose the clogged screen (and perhaps fuel filter) was somehow artifically elevating the pressure.

To remedy the fuel pressure drop, I used the BB trick (actually using a .177 lead pellet by squeezing the skirt to fit into the spring). My fuel pressure immediately went back to the 50-60 psi range and no longer drops past that under heavy acceleration.

I'll check the screen with every fuel filter change using the inspection mirror and light. If it's dirty, out comes my plastic stick for another 20-second cleaning session.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AWESOME information!

However;
My PS is a 2000 F350 SD Dually.

So, do I understand correctly that this does NOT apply to my truck. . . . ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Checked this today. My screen was about half disconnected from the white plastic. Of course I finished it off. Where I can get another one? I know there are some links in the thread, but there aren't any pictures on those sites and I'm not 100% on the name of what I'm looking for...thank you

Oh, and am I the only one who had a hard time getting the body far enough away from the bowl to get everything out? It'd be nice to have another 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Checked this today. My screen was about half disconnected from the white plastic. Of course I finished it off. Where I can get another one? I know there are some links in the thread, but there aren't any pictures on those sites and I'm not 100% on the name of what I'm looking for...thank you

Oh, and am I the only one who had a hard time getting the body far enough away from the bowl to get everything out? It'd be nice to have another 1/2" or so.
I done mine last week, and the screen came off. I used a plastic welder and put the screen back on with that. And it was a ***** to get that body back for me too. And getting that white piece the screen is made onto was a bastard to get out as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That makes me feel better. It doesn't help that my truck sits high. It's hard to reach. I put it back together without the screen, but I have a little screen to go on it. I'd like to just get a new one though and put it back together right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the write-up.
I cleaned my screen and did the BB mod last weekend.
Took a short trip and pulled 20mpg with my 95 F350 single wheel crew cab with 5 spd and 3.55 gears.
And there was a little in town driving mixed in there.
I'm pretty happy with the results.
Truck is snappier too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I took my fpr off and the screen was bad. when I pulled it off some little yellow ball fell out of somewhere.....where does it go? I think it fell out of the bottom where lower fuel line goes in?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I took my fpr off and the screen was bad. when I pulled it off some little yellow ball fell out of somewhere.....where does it go? I think it fell out of the bottom where lower fuel line goes in?
The little ball goes first, then the plastic cylinder with the o-ring and screen in the FPR.
:thumb:

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
Bump to find

101 - 120 of 154 Posts