Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my own today at the hardware store. Have a looksy

I will be taking it apart, putting plumbers tape on the fittings and then putting it back together. After that I'll be putting a hose clamp on each of the barbed fittings.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Marty, do you have a parts list? I'm mainly wondering about the gauge itself.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Don't forget the hose clamps. Otherwise the next mod with be the hood insulation delete....:haha:

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm the gauge I got was 0-100 psi, and it was in the hardware store. Dunno if it's "diesel" rated but it's for fluid. I told the guy I only NEED it for one or two uses and he said it won't break down that fast if it indead isn't compatible with diesel.

Besides the gauge itself was only like 7.99...

Any other tips Howard?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stripped the 90 and when walking out the door to do something else noticed the old fuel lines from the old heads sitting on the table... they worked!

LOL

I'm getting 52-55 psi just turning the key to the start position with a decent leak since I didn't let the pipe goop dry before trying it. I think I've got good pressure LOL.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
How much does the pressure drop at WOT?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm interested in checking my fuel pressure.

Is it easy to do?

Thank You

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maintain, Is your gauge for in the cabe or under the hood?? I can't see your pics for some reason?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Maintain, Is your gauge for in the cabe or under the hood??
I hope he is smarter than that! Mechanical fuel gauge in the cab is not good.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I hope he is smarter than that! Mechanical fuel gauge in the cab is not good.
Unless it is ran through the window temporarily to do tests. Definitely not good as a permanent installation. I was surprised at the difference between pressure sitting still and pressure at WOT until I found my contaminated fuel system and all became crystal clear.

I now got an electric pressure gauge mounted in the cab in the over the mirror pod. It was around $10 on ebay with sensor and all. Not at all accurate but works, sometimes. I plan to upgrade in the future but nice electric fuel pressure gauges are pretty pricy.

I’ve installed two liquid filled industrial 0-100 psi gauges under the hoods of powerstrokes and both of the gauges sprung and quit working within a week or two.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I'm interested in checking my fuel pressure.

Is it easy to do?

Thank You
You can connect an adapter to the back of the fuel bowl like Maintain's set up. It is a #4 O ring boss fitting in the back of the fuel bowl and from there you can make up whatever you want.

or

you can use this type of setup: http://www.dieselinnovations.com/techfiles/fuel_pressure_gauge_test_setup.pdf

This way is temporary and you will need to buy a new fuel filter that comes with a new lid. In stead of using a straight hose like in the pics, use a 90* angle on the lid so you can close the hood. Make sure to get enough hose to run the gauge to the cowl so you can read it while driving.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
We did a temp setup one time where we just hooked a hose to the filter drain pipe and clamped a gauge to it then opened the filter drain, quick and dirty but it worked, I was surprised the drain hose didn’t blow off the valve. Tapping the filter lid is a neat idea but those filter lids cost $$ to replace. I like plumbing the gauge into the head so I can see the pressure as close to the injectors as I can, in case something in-between is stopped up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unless it is ran through the window temporarily to do tests. Definitely not good as a permanent installation. I was surprised at the difference between pressure sitting still and pressure at WOT until I found my contaminated fuel system and all became crystal clear.

I now got an electric pressure gauge mounted in the cab in the over the mirror pod. It was around $10 on ebay with sensor and all. Not at all accurate but works, sometimes. I plan to upgrade in the future but nice electric fuel pressure gauges are pretty pricy.

I’ve installed two liquid filled industrial 0-100 psi gauges under the hoods of powerstrokes and both of the gauges sprung and quit working within a week or two.
Now this last part sorta has me worried. I just fired my new motor off last night and set the liquid filled guage under the hood to 68psi. My plan was to leave the liquid filled gauge on the regulator and put the adapter in the filter housing with the electrical sender for a gauge in the cab. But I really don't want to do the " hood insulation delete mod" if this is going to be a problem. Been there and done that before!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Problem I had was the needle in the gauges sprung and the gauges quit working, there was no fuel leak, just gauge no read right.

·
Registered
177 Posts
didn't know it was mechanical. i can't see the pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts