Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting around 12mpg I have no idea what is up.. New filters oil additives I have a s&b intake with the mini maxx deletes and exhaust. Any ideas how I can improve this poor fuel mileage?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I wish I was getting 12.......

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'm getting around 12mpg I have no idea what is up.. New filters oil additives I have a s&b intake with the mini maxx deletes and exhaust. Any ideas how I can improve this poor fuel mileage?

Thanks.

Which tune and what setting are you using?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I don't know ha. Mild tune mainly. I keep it under 2000 rpm and around 65-70 on highway. I'm new to the mini maxx I just switched from sct. Which is a good setting to be on?

·
Registered
769 Posts
You need to give more information for good advice.

What type of driving are you doing? Lots of stop and go? Short trips? Speeds? Lots of elevation changes?

My truck hand-calculated stock with 20" rims and 35" tires with 3.73s, a toolbox, and mixed highway-stop-and-go 12 mile work commute averages me around 13.0-14.5MPG.

Cruising down the highway with small hills and 68-75 MPH speeds nets me anywhere from 15 low, 16.5 on average, and a high of 18.7 (on a 10 hour trip).

A light right foot, few speed changes, staying out of the boost, and not going fast in open air make for good MPG.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do drive a lot of short trips yes. But I do stay out of the pedal and grandma the truck just to see if it would improve some but even in the highway cruise set at 65 for 80 miles (roughly) I was right around 14.5-15. Maybe it's just what these trucks get. My cummins was quite a bit better for a old beater. Wouldn't trade this truck for anything tho it's really nice only down fall is the fuel mileage. I have buddy's with 7.3's and are getting much better mileage and drive them like they stole it all day long. I get into mine 2 or 3 times it's like there goes a half of a quarter tank.. I have a 25 gallon tank im assuming to when my low fuel light turns on (50 miles remaining) the truck takes 21 gallons. Surprising to me it's so small I want to get a aux tank so I can at least go 2 weeks with out being at the pump lol.

·
Registered
695 Posts
+1 for Doss here too. My mileage is almost identical to his. I'm running the H&S 250 tune, if that matters to anyone. These trucks not only are pigs with fuel....they are temperamental with consistency. You can make the same exact trip multiple times, and more than likely your mileage will vary some. Many variables come to play with the 6.4

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a SCT (currently troubleshooting it) and I was running a stock custom tune for a week, and the rest of the last tank (about 1/2) was burned during the coolant flush process....and I still calculated out to 10.9 mpg. The lie-o-meter read 14.5 mpg during the week of driving on the stock custom tune. I switched back to the Extreme canned tune because I'm having troubles loading another custom tune for some more tests....My ride home last night and to work this morning (40 mile round trip with a few "hills" from WI kettles), my lie-o-meter read 21.8mpg when I just shut it off. I'm going to run this tune for the whole tank and get a real calculation.

I've seen everyone else basically has the same results: higher hp tune --> better mpg. Just stay off the pedal with the high hp tunes and you won't be blowing head gaskets.

MT

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Honestly I don't know ha. Mild tune mainly. I keep it under 2000 rpm and around 65-70 on highway. I'm new to the mini maxx I just switched from sct. Which is a good setting to be on?

I run the hd300 tune on the hot setting as a daily driver. The last tank I figured out was 16.5mpg. I seem to get the best mileage on this setting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok cool. I'll try the highest setting to see if it'll improve any. This is disappointing tho it's like I love the truck so much but the horrible mpg's are almost causing me to look else where for a truck.. Plus the thought of any given day a very expensive part can decide to break.. Idk.. Mite just have to go back with the trusty 5.9 and 7.3.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Run the HD300 and lbf of 0. I was running at 3 and sucking fuel. Turned it down to 0 and have been noticing a huge difference in mpg.

Also helps in case you still have your EGR coolers.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the ibf? Sorry im learning as I go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What is the ibf? Sorry im learning as I go.

LBF is low boost fueling. I believe you can only set it when you "install download" (I have the xrt pro). Its definition is pretty much in its name. How much fuel it dumps into the engine at low boost. Thus you have more pep and throttle response at low boost.

The higher you go the more you will roll coal. But black smoke is unused burnt diesel. An LBF at 0 in my opinion really helps with mpgs. Especially in stop and go driving.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive got H&S , with S&B deleted with the small factory muffler towards the rear. The truck is 2wd with 373's when not towing I drive it around 70 to 75 maybe getting on it once or twice per tank and I always get 17.8 running on the hot tune

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you run the hot tune all the time?

·
Registered
49 Posts
without a trailer I run the the hot tune all the time, and I have tried many tanks on each setting. With a trailer I keep it on mild and get 11.8mpg. Ive done 50k miles like this since 6/1/12 and its the same all the time...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok good info thanks. I'll try and run the hot and compare numbers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 for Doss here too. My mileage is almost identical to his. I'm running the H&S 250 tune, if that matters to anyone. These trucks not only are pigs with fuel....they are temperamental with consistency. You can make the same exact trip multiple times, and more than likely your mileage will vary some. Many variables come to play with the 6.4
I just Installed my spartan today. What is the best tune for highway miles roughly 75mph flat roads sea level? 2" leveling kit and 35" toyos is my setup

1 - 20 of 26 Posts