Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they any proven things we can do to our 08 6.4s to improve fuel mileage without voiding or chancing voiding the warranty. I can't afford to drive mine much with diesel approaching $5.00 per gallon. Believe me once they get it that high it will probably not come down for a long time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Basically, drive slower or buy a horse.

There isn't much you can do without voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't feel alone. Most, if not all, of us are in the same crisis. I feel especially bad for all the guys and gals that use these trucks for a living. Until we get oil and energy to the free market we will have to live with the monopoly. If we were paying $2.00 a gallon or less, where it should be, the 10-12 miles per gallon would not be that big an issue....my opinion. Not much you can do but bend over like the rest us.:banging:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't feel alone. Most, if not all, of us are in the same crisis. I feel especially bad for all the guys and gals that use these trucks for a living. Until we get oil and energy to the free market we will have to live with the monopoly. If we were paying $2.00 a gallon or less, where it should be, the 10-12 miles per gallon would not be that big an issue....my opinion. Not much you can do but bend over like the rest us.:banging:

Yep you are correct. I have a brother-in-law that is an independent trucker that is about to go out of business because of the high diesel fuel prices. At least I can just park my truck. When I purchased my 6.4 over a year ago the price of diesel was cheaper than regular at about $2.60 a gallon. Now diesel in my area is $4.55 cheapest prices. That is an increase of about $2.00 per gallon over a little over a year.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Just be grateful we are not paying 7-8 dollars a gallon like some of our neighboring countries:thumb:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not sure that's where it "should" be... :rofl:. Ever taken an economics class?

Just be grateful we are not paying 7-8 dollars a gallon like some of our neighboring countries:thumb:
I'm not sure any of our neighboring countries pay 7-8 a gallon, but people in Europe have paid that much for years.

The way high gas prices will shake out is that people who drive trucks and large vehicles for fun will no longer be able to afford to, and people will start rising mass transit. Ultimately I think higher fuel prices are a good thing since if you look at the list of countries we import oil from...they all despise us. And yet we still give them a huge amount of money. High gas prices will force people to seek alternatives and lower our dependency on foreign oil

In terms of modifications, you could buy the Job 3 airdam if you don't already have one, which will pick up a MPG or so on the highway...also, look up guides to driving more efficiently. (Not that you can do much if you're in traffic often)

·
Registered
244 Posts
You're quite an optimist!

Why is diesel so much cheaper in Mexico? Where is their diesel refined?

I'm just torqued that diesel went up 60% in the 3 months I've had my 6.4L. Has crude gone up 60% in 3 months also? Paid $4.89 in central CT last night.

Driving it has become a guilty pleasure.:tard:

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think that the fuel quality changes my mileage. the cheapest stuff usually gives me reduced mileage. quality for a couple of pennies more seems to give me more mileage and range on a tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure that's where it "should" be... :rofl:. Ever taken an economics class?

I'm not sure any of our neighboring countries pay 7-8 a gallon, but people in Europe have paid that much for years.

The way high gas prices will shake out is that people who drive trucks and large vehicles for fun will no longer be able to afford to, and people will start rising mass transit. Ultimately I think higher fuel prices are a good thing since if you look at the list of countries we import oil from...they all despise us. And yet we still give them a huge amount of money. High gas prices will force people to seek alternatives and lower our dependency on foreign oil

In terms of modifications, you could buy the Job 3 airdam if you don't already have one, which will pick up a MPG or so on the highway...also, look up guides to driving more efficiently. (Not that you can do much if you're in traffic often)
So we seek alternative fuels.......who will be in charge of selling it to us?? Our oil companies. Here we go again. We loose. We can have our cake and eat it too.....just need to be smart.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
For all the gazillions of dollars invested the oil companies make less than 10% profit.

This is not unreasonable by any means. Anyone can and do buy stock in oil companies. Most everyone these days has money invested in retirement funds that invest in oil company stocks. Most of which pay dividends. The oil industry provides many higher than average paying jobs and generates a lot of tax money. We cannot survive without oil companies.

This is a free market. If you want to go on a crusade become a billionaire and go out and explore for oil and give it away for free you can do that. But you can't do it with a public company. You must form a private company if you plan on not making a profit.

Nobody's complaining about other companies make 25-40% profit but will rag on the oil companies. What if they all shut down, would that make everybody happy?

·
Registered
68 Posts
For all the gazillions of dollars invested the oil companies make less than 10% profit.

This is not unreasonable by any means. Anyone can and do buy stock in oil companies. Most everyone these days has money invested in retirement funds that invest in oil company stocks. Most of which pay dividends. The oil industry provides many higher than average paying jobs and generates a lot of tax money. We cannot survive without oil companies.

This is a free market. If you want to go on a crusade become a billionaire and go out and explore for oil and give it away for free you can do that. But you can't do it with a public company. You must form a private company if you plan on not making a profit.

Nobody's complaining about other companies make 25-40% profit but will rag on the oil companies. What if they all shut down, would that make everybody happy?
So I'm a bit confused. Are you telling me that my neighbor and myself can drill a well on my property, refine it, put a pump in my local community and publicly sell gas for $1.50 a gallon....plus tax of course?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yes, or you can give it away.

Oil is sold on the market like most everything else. Most people want to get the going price. If it is used on the road the road taxes must be paid. Other than that I don't see anything stopping you from giving it away. You could just pay the tax on it yourself. Of course you need mineral rights and permits. This costs money as well but it is not as much as drilling a hole.

Let me know when your ready to start exploring I can hook you up with a seismic crew. The clients I work for do exactly that. Of course they are selling theirs for the market price. When they start giving it away I'll let you guys know where to go a get it.

Now if your going to refine it and make your own gas and diesel you need more than just a few billion. It may be cheaper on you to have it hauled to a refinery and pay them to do it for you and haul the gas and diesel back so you can give it away. That way you don't need to deal with the cost of waste disposal and permits.

Actually it would be a lot cheaper for you to just give out free gas cards. Mainly because you could spend millions and still not have the first drop of oil.

·
Registered
514 Posts
LOL, this is funny reading. you go DP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, or you can give it away.

Oil is sold on the market like most everything else. Most people want to get the going price. If it is used on the road the road taxes must be paid. Other than that I don't see anything stopping you from giving it away. You could just pay the tax on it yourself. Of course you need mineral rights and permits. This costs money as well but it is not much as drilling a hole.

Let me know when your ready to start exploring I can hook you up with a seismic crew. The clients I work for do exactly that. Of course they are selling theirs for the market price. When they start giving it away I'll let you guys know where to go a get it.

Now if your going to refine it and make your own gas and diesel you need more than just a few billion. It my be cheaper on you to have it hauled to a refinery and pay them to do it for you and haul the gas and diesel back so you can give it away. That way you don't need to deal with the cost of waste disposal and permits.

Actually it would be a lot cheaper for you to just give out free gas cards. Mainly because you could spend millions and still not have the first drop of oil.
Hummmm.......if it doesn't make sense more than likely it isn't true and this makes NO sense. I can just imagine a local entrepreneur doing this and living to tell about it. The oil companies need competition and that will not happen anytime soon. It also makes sense that the less we use and the more China and India uses the more we pay. Great program......unless you have a ton of oil stock. Probably should have this in a different forum but this is a sore subject for me.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Gee, What country are you in. I don't know how you figured this out. If your here in the US it's simple. If you do this you will be an oil company. I work for hundreds of oil companies. Most are privately owned and are exploring and drilling for oil every day.

You don't have to actually form a company. Your lawyers will definitely persuade you to do so because you will want to keep your homestead and not lose it in a lawsuit.

I know some people that have their own ranch and formed their own oil company. You need to hire people and they will sue you and take your property.

Everybody is not doing it mainly because there is not enough profit in it or they can't afford it. Many have tried and went broke. Like I said, let me know when your ready to start doing seismic. Or you can just punch a hole and see what you get. You'll likely never see any oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To save fuel, slowing down or driving less are about the only answers. Drive slower and coast more, swing wider turns, accelerate a bit slower... Generally, just hold up other traffic! :lol:

I saw mention of 10-12mpg... Did I read that right? My old 7.3L PSD F-350 does way better than that, averaging 19 or so. And it doesn't even have cruise control... My dad's '04 duallie sees about 16. Both are L/B CC 2WD's.

This is basically true. At least, they don't have a large profit margin. Of course, when your company makes more than any other corporation in the country, it's bound to look like alot. The biggest bothersome factor may just be knowing the CEO's are making hundreds of millions. People just don't relate well to their price seeming to equate to a multi-million dollar salary for a few. The large companies though... 9% or so profit. Not that they need it, but...

The last two sentences here, I agree with.

The 1st three... Not so much. Most people cannot and do not buy or own oil stocks They'd LIKE TO, but don't. Most people simply cannot afford to buy them. 10yrs ago things were different. Many, perhaps close to half of all employees don't even have retirement funds, so they aren't included. And there are those 140,000,000 or so who don't have a job for whatever reason. In a nutshell, the number of people invested in the stock market or oil futures is extremely low... Probably fewer than 1% of us.

This is a free market.
According to many CEO's, and particularly SHELL OIL's CEO, that's not the case. He said yesterday, in response to some nitwit Senator, "This is not a free market." He went on to say why... He flatly told them Congress is preventing them from using American oil by making things so difficult and costly in America. Anyway, I have to agree, it's not a free market and it's so close to monopolized, most companies do as you said... fail.

If you want to go on a crusade become a billionaire and go out and explore for oil and give it away for free you can do that. But you can't do it with a public company. You must form a private company if you plan on not making a profit.
I don't think anyone mentioned wanting oil or fuel given away for nothing. Most just seem to think a reasonable price would better suit the public at large... I agree. High fuel costs slow the economy and that's all there is to it.

Most companies don't make that much profit. Like the oil companies, all others have to invest as well. They also have massive overhead. It costs, for example, a bunch more to operate Wal-Mart than it does Exxon, and Wal-Mart pays much less to the employees. Part of the reason... You can have oil without Wal-Mart... Can't have Wal-Mart without oil. You might have 1, maybe 2... But you'd not see a high profit margin at that point. And similarly, if Wal-Mart shut down, millions would be upset... But they'd move on. If the major oil companies shut down, it would be like truckers shutting down and everyone who complains would still suffer. We'd move on, but not like we do now.

I feel for the oil companies. But I look at every angle here and see that they could do more for less. The companies themselves are hardly to blame for todays situation. They're using it to their advantage, and that's fine with me. I just wish they'd try harder to push for new refineries and American production. If they could get that working, prices could drop.

I'm angry with Congress... They're seemingly always part of the problem and rarely a part of any solution. They'd rather point fingers and complain than try to repair the problems. A Congresswoman from FL said today, Democrats don't want to allow drilling or more production in America because, to them, that won't fix the whole problem... In other words, if they can't fix it all with one plan, they're not interested... That's BS. I'm all for whatever additional fuels they'd like, but we MUST have oil...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It's a free market in the sense that anybody can sell their oil on the market for the market price. Such as cattle, crops, or anything else. Some places this is not possible. Mexico for instance the government owns the oil. They have the monopoly. Here in the US you can do it yourself. It is just too expensive and you can make more money investing in Google. It's expensive in the US for companies to make money on anything. That's why it's hard to see a profit. It's still a free market.

As far as investing goes I don't think it's hard to invest in lets say Exxon with over 5 billion shares out and 25 million trading daily. When I say most people have oil stocks I should have said most investors. The largest one year sum ever earned by an investor or investment company was in oil.

It's simple to just invest in oil itself instead of an oil company. USO is a fund that directly reflects the price of oil and you can buy it through any brokerage account. Had you bought some a year ago you could sell it now and double your money.

Naturally there are a lot of people who do not invest. These are mostly the ones who will be broke the day after their last paycheck comes in.

As far as unemployment goes we make it hard on oil companies to make a profit and they will lay off people.

Large salaries seem to be what goes with responsibility of this magnitude. The investors or elected officials are mostly responsible for the amount of money the big dogs rake in.

Unfortunately it seems we're in for higher prices on everything. This has been the trend for a long time. Fuel for the auto has not kept up with everything else. Now with the demand for it increasing it's making up for lost time.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
In addition to slowing down and such as mentioned above putting more air in the tires will help. You want the maximum amount you can run without over inflating. Beware though the the truck may not handle the same and you could lose control on a rough road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Off topic(sorry) to a large degree, but on a related point...

The biggest single reason for prices rising on most consumer goods across the country is the high price of oil. That's always been the case and our government knows it as well as anyone. They have made it more difficult, and far more expensive for companies to produce more oil for use, and so the companies have bought elsewhere to keep their costs down. Now that crude is up, they charge more for it here. Stands to reason. It also stands to reason, it's well past time for our government to make it easier to produce oil, and more importantly, refine oil in Amerca.

The Democrats control Congress. They know exactly what they're doing... The idea is obviously to get crude prices as high as possible, and much like they did about the Civil Rights movement, lay the blame on Republicans for all that's wrong... They're trying to win a political windfall so that they can further governmental control over our markets and healtchare system. They can't socialize America unless they have full control. They have control by not lifting a finger to help control the rise in crude prices. They campaigned in 2006, saying they were going to get fuel prices lower... Average cost when they came into power was roughly $2.80pg... Today, about $3.92... Yesterday, a Democrat from PA(can't remember his name) admitted the strategy, thinking he wasn't being recorded...

It's time to relieve them of power so we haven't got to find ways to get better mileage... But instead, get better prices at the pump. And maybe even get all this emissions crap to go the way of the dinasour. We've been lied to long enough, and ignored to top off the lies... We deserve the truth, as well as fair support from our elected officials.

They are fighting against nuclear power, and even wind power... I'm all for oil AND the other ideas... Either way, we simply must have more access to refined crude oil and the Democrats in power are doing all they can to prevent that from happening. The reason is simple and clear... It would help prevent them from Americans feeling a need for their support.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I think we are in the midst of two or more crisis situations. One being the big crash of the banks who sold bad loans and now in an attempt to offset this problem interest rates are too low. This is causing a serious dip in the value of the US dollar.

This is coming at a bad time because with the cost of oil with our dollar value the price is elevated. Investors typically use oil stocks as a hedge against low interest rates and low dollar value. This problem is feeding itself.

However investors are known for taking profits. This is going to happen very soon. As the sell off starts less buyers are going to be buying in and the price of crude will drop.
These banks and investment firms do not want to take delivery of millions of barrels of oil. They want to sell it for a profit. In the end it will resort to consumer volume. In other words they are only trading paper and it cannot last much longer. Then the market will correct to reflect supply and demand. This should drop the cost of oil by at least 30%.

What needs to happen though is the interest rates need to come up again. This gives investors a place to move to as they bail out of the oil market.

Additionally, the high price of fuel at the pumps are going to trigger a sharp decline in demand. People are selling off the gas guzzlers and looking at more economical means of transportation. This should lower the cost more due to a change from deficit to surplus in the near future.

You can't just blame some group for the problem. Time will return the markets to normal and the high prices will return the surplus of oil. It is self correcting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts