Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 F-350. Purchased it new 5 years ago and had a 50 gallons Titan tank installed at that time and had the computer reflashed for the new tank size. Last week My fuel gauge read below 1/4 tank and I went to fill it up but it only took 23 gallons. The fuel gauge is working, ie moving, not stuck on full or empty but is not registering correctly. I have driven 95 miles since fill up, my gauge returned to Full, but now my gauge is reading just above 1/2 tank and the Miles to empty is reading according to the fuel gauge. MTE started above 700 miles but now reads 376 miles in accordance with fuel gauge. Like I stated, have driven 95 miles, and shows I have used 7.8 gallons of diesel. Is this a computer issue or a sending unit issue? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I would do some checking of the wires going to the sending unit in the tank and see if there is a chaffed wire or if you can get to the plug on top of the tank (probably can't without dropping it some) disconnect and reconnect it to see if maybe slight corrosion on the pins.

Do the gallons used in the Trip A or B show the correct amount of fuel used? It might be off a few gallons from what you put in the tank when you fuel up.

Personally, I do not use the MTE that much and do not rely on the gauge much with my Titan Tank. I watch Trip A and the gallons used. I reset Trip A each fill up. This to me is a better indication of how much fuel is remaining.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Larry. I was thinking the same and was going to ohm out the sending unit. Hate to drop the tank, have about 40 gallons in there now. I was thinking maybe some buildup on the sending unit but it happened so quickly I was thinking the unit was going or something electrical. What was a little head scratching was that I didn’t realize the computer uses the sending unit for computing DTE and not the gallons used. On a side note. My Gallons Used was never very accurate. It is about a gallon short for every 10 gallons used. IE, the gallons used will read 30 gallons but I put in 33 gallons. Is wonder if there is a way to calibrate that better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts