Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2002 7.3 that is blowing fuel and I can't pinpoint it. I'm not a mechanic nor do I pretend to play one so please bear with me. I found an area that apprears to be the general area the leak is coming from. I haven't been able to replicate the leak while idling in the driveway. Everything seems to lead to this general area. These pictures are looking up from underneath just forward of the passenger wheel towards the engine.

There is a tube as pointed out in the picture with the arrows that I do not know what it is nor do I know if it is suppose to be connected to something. As in the photo it obvious is not connected to anything on this one end and am wondering if this is where my fuel is coming from. Can someone tell what the line is and where it should go or be doing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
When you have it sitting in the drive way stick your head in the engine bay and have someone accelerate and try to make the fuel spew out. That how I tracked down my leak. ..... make sure your drain valve on the fuel bowl is shut

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Looks like the line from your fuel bowl drain valve. That's connected to the yellow lever on your fuel bowl that let's you drain all the fuel out. I think i read that there's o-rings that go bad and they can be replaced. Someone else hopefully will have more info.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
the drain valve is sticking , or may have a piece of trash in it which is allowing it to leak, that line is connected to the drain valve , replace the drain valve they arent that high and clean the bowl good while its apart and that will take care of it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the line from your fuel bowl drain valve. That's connected to the yellow lever on your fuel bowl that let's you drain all the fuel out. I think i read that there's o-rings that go bad and they can be replaced. Someone else hopefully will have more info.
Going to check the fuel bowl drain valve. If thats the drain line then it very well could be the culprit and makes sense. I would think if it was the O-rings I would have fuel all over that area and not just down here at the end of this line. Regardless, as soon as I finish lunch I'll have a look. I hope it is as simple as the valve being slightly open. Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
+1 that was my problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out and opened the valve and then made sure it was closed good. Took the truck up to the car wash and threw some engine cleaner on it. Drove it home and still had a mess. It is not leaking out the end of the drain line but I can't tell if its leaking further up the line and then pooling down over everything. The fuel drain line appears to be dry as you follow it back in the middle picture. It is also dry where the line comes out by the yellow lever up on the fuel filter. I can't see much past there going down but it does all appear to be dry.

No such luck that this would be an easy fix. :crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts