Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97' 250 and every time I drive my truck and stop it leaks fuel from the pan that is located right behind the oil pan. Any Ideas on what it may be?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Thats actually an inspection cover for the flywheel. The fuel is leaking down out of the valley of the engine, and going down the back of the block. Could be a bunch of things up in the valley leaking, so your best bet would be to clean eveything up, replace the small rubber lines under the fuel bowl, and then re-check for leaks.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
As mentioned, it could be many things in the engine valley that can leak, but one easy one to check while it is running (on a 96-97) is the Fuel Restriction Sensor. It is located on the Fuel Pressure Regulator block on the driver's side of the fuel filter bowl. It will look like a pressure sensor with one wire (on a 97 it wire be the uppermost wire to the driver's side of the fuel bowl ... there are three). The FRS are known leakers! You can get a new one from Ford, but most folks that change their filters regularly just use a 1/8 NPT plug (just don't overtighten it and crack the FPR block). Cheers!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Basically a standard hardware store pipe plug (NPT = National Pipe Thread). The threads are tapered, so don't overtighten the plug or you will crack the housing. Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little update.. I started putting Lucas injector cleaning in my tank, maybe 1 to 3 fill up ratio and that's when I started noticing the leak. After a week of not using it, the leak has COMPLETELY stopped. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I refuse to use Lucas in my tank now. Though I know a lot of people like it. I know longer recommend it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check your banjo line i think thats what its called it runs into the head i had one that leaked like crazy then stopped 6 monts later started leaking so bad had to have a fire truck come out and check it before i could tow it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts