Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been noticing I have been using more fuel than lately. So I checked and there is fuel in the engine valley under the turbo. I was reading and theres like a plug under the turbo or something that leaks fuel alot of times?

Any Ideas what Im talking about and what it takes to fix

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been having the same problem with my truck. Most of my leak was due to a bad lift pump. I'd check to see if it's leaking from the weep hole on the pump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Check the blue fuel lines also that run up under the filter housing.They are bad about dry rotting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about the pump in the center of the valley kinda? what do you mean the weep

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you talking about the pump in the center of the valley kinda? what do you mean the weep
Yeah, the lift pump is in the valley in between the turbo and the fuel filter bowl and has blue fuel lines connecting it to the bowl. The weep hole is on the bottom just in front of the 10mm bolt on the left side (from the front of the truck) of the lift pump.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright Ill have to check that after work. How hard is it to replace? If I see its coming out from the weep hole does mean the pump is bad or are there seals I can replace?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alright Ill have to check that after work. How hard is it to replace? If I see its coming out from the weep hole does mean the pump is bad or are there seals I can replace?
If it's leaking from the weep hole, it'll have to be replaced. It's around $100 at any of the parts stores, they're all made by Carter. It's not too hard, just annoying at times. Especially trying to get the banjo bolt threaded. It took me around 1.5-2 hours to do. Scroll down to post #6: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-general-powerstroke-discussion/64829-lift-pump-leaking.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im wondering if than its time to do a fuel system upgrade. I am still trying to figure out how all the lines are run in these trucks, I grew up working on gas motors so I still dont 100 percent understand everything on the diesels but Im working on it. If I decide to do an upgrade any suggestions? Ive heard of people running new lines and using a SD electric pump and aftermarket filters with a stock fuel housing delete and an aftermarket regulator

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Heui pump in the engine valley is most likely the culprit of your fuel leak. They're not too difficult to replace. Most shops will charge at least 4+ hours of labor for the job. The pumps aren't too expensive. (somewhere around $100). It comes up on Auto Zone, Napa, and Car Quest's websites, but they "couldn't get it", because I wasn't a "shop". I ended up buying mine wholesale from a performance shop. Mine was made by Delphi, not Carter, but I doubt it makes that big of a difference. (and as for a dealership etc., the pumps they get, are rebuilds, not new)

To do the job, the only "special" tool you'll need, is a 1 1/4" box end wrench. The rest of it is self explanitory.

If you need any help, feel free to ask or pm me. I just did this job about a month and a half ago.

mike

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was taking everything apart today and I noticed my 3 blue fuel lines are rotted away So I am thinking that it might be that. but not completely sure. any way to test the pump to see if its leaking from there? and also when I replace those blue fuel lines do I need to get the blue ones or will any fuel line work? Im guess I have to and fords probly the only ones that have them

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought low pressure hydraulic hose when I replaced mine.It will hold up just as good.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I went to Napa, and got high pressure fuel line. (rated at 350psi if I remember correctly). You'll need 1/2", and 5/16". (and you might want to get 1/4" as well) If you make sure the person behind the counter knows that they're dealing with diesel fuel lines, they should grab the righ one.

Though, you could always go for the hydraulic hose too. (might be a little more expensive though, not sure)

Either Ford, or International should be able to provide the blue fuel lines, but at the cost, I think it would make more sense to just get regular high pressure fuel line, and change it more often. (that is my opinion though)

mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar question I have fuel in my coolant resevoir on a 1997 7.3L powerstroke any ideas?????? Please help only transportation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts