Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum and i just recently bought a 1997 psd 5 speed 4x4.
I just noticed it is leaking fuel, its coming from the passenger side of the motor looks like above the starter. Iv looked up top and cant really see any thing leaking and the valley doesnt have a puddle or anything. The valley is pretty gunked up but no actual fluid sitting or running through there. Iv been told to look for a line that runs to the back side of the head? Dont know much about these trucks so I figured I would ask first.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
776 Posts
The fuel lines on the back of the motor are connected to the Huei pump. (pump in motor valley, just foreward of turbo pedistal). The fuel lines (2), run from the back of the pump, into the back (rear) of each rocker cover. I would expect that if these were leaking (possibly at connection to pump), that you might see some light puddleing behind pump, and underneath turbo pedistal. Check it out.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I finally found it, and it was the mechanical pump in the engine valley that was leaking. Got one at Advance fof about $100 with a warranty.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Right on. The Huei pumps on a lot of trucks are starting to go out. The little diaphragm inside gets wore out and starts weeping fuel. Mine did the same thing just a few weeks ago.

It's not a tough install/ replacement. I would recomend though, changing out all the soft fuel lines while you're under the hood. (they probably need it anyways). You'll need 3/8" and 5/16". Other than that, the tools are self explanitory, but you might want to get something soft like a foam knee pad, or old pillow or something to lean/ kneel on.

Best of luck in the R/R.

mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts