Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am trying to reach some members who are running fuel lab pumps in they're rigs to get an idea if they are as reliable as the factory super duty fuel pumps , noise level. Also what model are they running. My truck only pushing 180/100 and Garrett GTP38R so I'm not totally sure which model would work best for my application. Just trying to gather as much info as I can before making a purchase. This truck will be a daily driver. Thanks

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally for 7.3l unless you are pushing a big turbo, big injectors, built transmission the OEM pump is more than enough for moderate mods. Still running my oem original from 1999. Ive been in -20s and 105+ and she just put the fuel in lol.
So 180/100 stage 2 injectors and GTP38R roller turbo with Hydra/custom tunes are not too big? The diesel shops tell me I need a bigger fuel pump but they are in business to sell this stuff. I'm really trying to reach some guys with mods " injectors,turbo,tunes" close to mine and see what they have experienced. Guess the best thing I can do is buy a new Bosch pump and if it doesn't maintain pressure under w.o.t. I will go with a duel Bosch system. My truck isnt pushing crazy power but certainly is not stock. CNC FAB said my mods should be 400-420 HP "ball park"
stock will work fine, I've replaced the pump once in 265k miles and 23 years
What injectors,turbo,tuning are you running on a stock pump ?

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
@Rayzimk72

I kept my 7.3l mostly stock. My prior 6.0ls were just a different turbo, tuning and I've helped others with swapping some 180 injectors and the van turbo and he runs an oem fuel pump on his 1999 7.3l auto with no issues.

How long have you been running the set up?
Are you having issues with the oem pump on it currently?

· Registered
2,201 Posts
So 180/100 stage 2 injectors and GTP38R roller turbo with Hydra/custom tunes are not too big? The diesel shops tell me I need a bigger fuel pump but they are in business to sell this stuff. I'm really trying to reach some guys with mods " injectors,turbo,tunes" close to mine and see what they have experienced. Guess the best thing I can do is buy a new Bosch pump and if it doesn't maintain pressure under w.o.t. I will go with a duel Bosch system. My truck isnt pushing crazy power but certainly is not stock. CNC FAB said my mods should be 400-420 HP "ball park"
The stock fuel system dumps fuel pressure at the regulator. If you are having a fuel supply issue with the stock pump for those mods I would look into the regulator being out of adjustment before spending money on a pump.

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock fuel system dumps fuel pressure at the regulator. If you are having a fuel supply issue with the stock pump for those mods I would look into the regulator being out of adjustment before spending money on a pump.
It's actually been a build in progress that will be finished once I decided what direction I wanna go with my fuel system. CNC FAB and STRICTLY DIESEL both said my factory pump will keep up with 160/00 but that's about they're limit. I have 180/100's so I think I'm gonna put a new Bosch fp 200 on it with a guages. If it holds 50+ at W.O.T. great but I guess first I need to see what a fresh stock pump will do w.o.t. before worrying about going bigger

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally for 7.3l unless you are pushing a big turbo, big injectors, built transmission the OEM pump is more than enough for moderate mods. Still running my oem original from 1999. Ive been in -20s and 105+ and she just put the fuel in lol.
I mean I have stage 2 injectors 180/100 with a Garrett GTP38R turbo. While it's not huge it's certainly bigger than stock. I had to go to a CNC FAB stage 2 HPOP to feed enough oil to the injectors at high rpms. Think my setup is gonna be just out of the "adequate abilities" of a single factory fuel pump,well at least that's what I'm being told by a few well known diesel sites/distributors/modifiers. Just wanna make a smart decision and get all knowledge I can before I decide on fuel system. I jumped too soon when choosing 180/100 sticks,if I would've went the hybrid route it would've saved me $850 on stage 2 HPOP and hoses. But thanks for your reply I appreciate it

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am running stage 2 180/100 sticks , Garrett GTP38R turbo, CNC FAB stage 2 HPOP , HYDRA/Gearhead custom tunes. Straight exhaust

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Need more flow ? just parallel two factory pumps

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Rayzimk72

I kept my 7.3l mostly stock. My prior 6.0ls were just a different turbo, tuning and I've helped others with swapping some 180 injectors and the van turbo and he runs an oem fuel pump on his 1999 7.3l auto with no issues.

Actually I purchased the truck wrecked from old guy original owner. I had to put a new front section frame in truck and put it back together . The truck is just about finished. The fuel pump in it is tired. I've already dropped tank and hutch/harpooned it. It falls around 20 psi high rpms. Honestly I doubt I will ever run my truck hard except on a dyno 1 time after I get it dialed in, then maybe 1 time at track. Besides that I drive like the old guy I am. But I do want to be able to get 100% of the power my mods are able to put down. Kinda think it's a waste of $ to upgrade parts unless all my supporting mods/system will allow my truck to reach it's full potential for the mods I have. But I think I'm gonna get a fresh Bosch FP200-7 and see how it keeps up. Like u said if it does not I'll build a diy parallel twin S.D. pump system

· Registered
)1999 Ford F-250
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Rayzimk72

Actually I purchased the truck wrecked from old guy original owner. I had to put a new front section frame in truck and put it back together . The truck is just about finished. The fuel pump in it is tired. I've already dropped tank and hutch/harpooned it. It falls around 20 psi high rpms. Honestly I doubt I will ever run my truck hard except on a dyno 1 time after I get it dialed in, then maybe 1 time at track. Besides that I drive like the old guy I am. But I do want to be able to get 100% of the power my mods are able to put down. Kinda think it's a waste of $ to upgrade parts unless all my supporting mods/system will allow my truck to reach it's full potential for the mods I have. But I think I'm gonna get a fresh Bosch FP200-7 and see how it keeps up. Like u said if it does not I'll build a diy parallel twin S.D. pump system

1 - 16 of 16 Posts