Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm not only brand new to this site but to diesels. I've worked on gas my whole life so I'm learning as I go. I have a 2006 f350 6.0 typical 6.0 problems:
*Over heating/coolant disappearing
-Replaced EGR valve/EGR cooler
*Would only drive 5 minutes before stalling then the famous no start when hot
-Replaced STC fitting
-Replaced dummy plugs and stand pipes
-Replaced oil cooler(while I was there)
-New ICP/IPR (got both for $60 from friend)
-Blue spring kit
When I was replacing the oil cooler I went to drain my oil, slid a 5 gallon bucket under the truck assuming 5 gallons was plenty of room. WRONG after spilling a gallon on my garage floor before getting another 5 gallon bucket in place, that bucket filled 3/4 of the way. The oil is extremely thin, all 8 gallons of it. The oil was only 1000 miles old. Before I started all this work I could hear air in my secondary fuel filter bowl. I cracked the top to see so much air that the fuel was foaming. So, I'm also replacing all the o-rings on my injectors. Only 1 injector had a somewhat suspect o-ring but the other looks threaded
any idea why it looks this way? What o-ring let's the fuel go by into the oil? Is there another way fuel is getting into my oil besides the injector?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Cracked Heads, any of the rings on the cylinder, and nipple cups or their seals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up so I don't leave an open post. My fuel leaking into my oil was from bad o rings/seals on my injectors. I never found out how/why my injector was threaded in the middle like that, I don't know how it made it by quality control and into my truck but it did.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Would you mind saying which injectors? Actually more interested if they were OEM rebuilds, and if they were sourced from Ford or not. I hear good things about OEM rebuilds sourced from Ford having a low failure rate, and non-OEM being bad out of the box much more frequently..

What I plan on doing at some point, perhaps in October when the weather cools is an injector swap, just because the injectors are 15 years old and 195k, no symptoms. I plan on using OEM injectors, and not sure where I will get them. Even though I've no symptoms, my gas mileage is slightly less than what I'd like to see and the EGTs are slightly more. Not alarmingly high, but elevated. A reputable shop where I get work done suggested injectors may be the cause. If this does not fix the problem, I will at least have peace of mind the injectors should last a good long while. There's so much that goes into gas mileage and EGTs, bringing those down is an art more than a science with all the mods these trucks have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read thousands of post about injectors. If your not trying to show off your truck and want longevity from your injectors go with ford motorcraft injectors. My injectors are stock. I rebuilt them at 138,000 miles. They all worked great except cylinder 5. Pulled it, cleaned it again, still wasn't good. I ended up buying a new motorcraft.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,965 Posts
Thank you for closing this thread with a solution. So many of them are left open. Issues like yours are virtually impossible to identify over the internet. We tend to assume that things that were rebuilt will be good (pretty much all we can do). Unfortunately the real world doesn't always work that way - we all get bit from time-to-time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts