Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found all 4 cylinders on driver side being flooded with fuel. Truck would start and blow black oil looking raw diesel out exhaust. It would then stall with a horrible miss within 2min then hydro lock I pulled the injectors all of them after a compression test. What would cause this level of boring damage on the injectors? The injectors were not throwing codes and passed click test so should i just throw new oringand washer kit on them and hope for the best?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
The lower oring is only there to keep fuel from getting too near the hot tip and boiling - that compartment is supposed to be basically a dry area -- fuel leaking past the oring or a leaking copper washer could pressurize to the point of damaging the ring like you have -- poor quality ring also may be a cause

Has the engine been over heated?

Bits of that oring may have got into the injector tips -- that may explain the raw fuel in the exhaust

Be sure the copper washer area is clean, the hold down bolt threads are clean to the bottom, and install a new set of orings -- Do you think your injectors are OK?

·
Registered
801 Posts
In your original post, you said this was a new to you truck with some new parts hung on it. I would guess someone put in new injectors or did a rework and as Hydro said didn't clean the bores or clean the injector hold-down screw holes of oil, so they were never tightened as they should have been. It's possible they might have overtightened the screws 'cause more is better and went past the yield point. So you might want to invest in new screws just to be safe.

Usually, if the injector is bouncing up and down both o-rings look damaged, but those fuel o-ring look blown out from compression.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would my injectors if they were bad show codes or something like that? I really dont wanna throw these back in if they are going to be the same situation. Getting tired of spending so much on oil for it to be just contaminated again with diesel. I'll upload some pics of the cups

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower oring is only there to keep fuel from getting too near the hot tip and boiling - that compartment is supposed to be basically a dry area -- fuel leaking past the oring or a leaking copper washer could pressurize to the point of damaging the ring like you have -- poor quality ring also may be a cause

Has the engine been over heated?

Bits of that oring may have got into the injector tips -- that may explain the raw fuel in the exhaust

Be sure the copper washer area is clean, the hold down bolt threads are clean to the bottom, and install a new set of orings -- Do you think your injectors are OK?
I was told that the engine was overheated by a friend of the guy I got it from. I'm assuming that's why it had a brand new radiator in it when I got it and the wiring to fan was cut at connector.

Should I soak the hold down bolts in brake cleaner or somthing? I'm picking up a brush to clean the cups and the o ring kits in morning from auto store. I hope the dorman or carquest o ring kits will be ok.

How do I clean the injector tips?

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Take a small screw driver an dig in the bottom of the hold down bolt holes(in case there is packed crud), then blow out the oil
Be careful not to scratch the cup where the copper washer seals
Looks like in at least one picture that the injector was not sealing well, you can see the carbon staining and specks in the bottom
Diesel fuel will not come out of the exhaust, if there is good compression in the cylinders -- it would be burned instead -- the amount of fuel in a cylinder is what determines RPM
I suspect what you are seeing is "slobber" a mix of water and soot -- possibly an EGR cooler leak

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a egr cooler delete and egr delete when I got the truck. That's what i first thought was wrong with truck. Do I have to tune out the egr? I have a block off plate on it now. So I should scrape blow out out crud and soot from the tie down holes.. should I take a brush to the cup its self? I'm really really hoping tomorrow when I do all this, install the injectors back with fresh seals and then change the oil she starts right up and i can finally drive my truck

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Attach an air hose to the tip of the injectors you have out and place each into a container of diesel - let's see if air is sealing or making bubbles -- if you have a stuck tip there will be bubbles
I use a dowel rod with a piece of scotch brite glued to the tip to clean the lower surface of the injector cup
I wouldn't bother with changing oil until after the engine is running, why waste the resources

·
Registered
801 Posts
I thought I was the only crazy person to use ScotchBrite to clean the cups. :) It works better than just brushes.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Nice driver you have for your pad, did you make it?

The OP needs to run a rifle cleaning brush thru the injector tip hole to clean the carbon out -- but I forget what caliber to name

·
Registered
801 Posts
Its just the Alliant brush set for the 6.0 I got from XDP. I used it first then finished with the ScotchBrite. I also used some brass bottle brushes from McMaster as I didn't feel the Alliant brush set did a complete job. Saome were larger and not in the picture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice driver you have for your pad, did you make it?

The OP needs to run a rifle cleaning brush thru the injector tip hole to clean the carbon out -- but I forget what caliber to name
I'm about to get started on putting everything back together. First Iwanna thank you man. You have helped me alot on all my posts. I have hopefully just one or two more questions for you. When you said I should put the injectors in diesel and put air thru the injector. Should I put the injectors fully in diesel? Would thathurt the connections? And what end to put the air thru? The tip or the top near the connections? Also any tips on reassemble? Should u be putting in new glow plugs? They were new but are they ruined from the contamination in oil? Should I drain the oil that's bad now? Or wait then see how it goes before wasting money on the oil if it still ends up dumping fuel? Also is all the fuel in oil reason I have such high crankcase pressure?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Attach an air to the tip of the injectors you have out and place each into a container of diesel - let's see if air is sealing or making bubbles -- if you have a stuck tip there will be bubbles
I use a dowel rod with a piece of scotch brite glued to the tip to clean the lower surface of the injector cup
I wouldn't bother with changing oil until after the engine is running, why waste the resources
  1. Sorry just saw that you said not to do oil yet.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That shows whomever was in there prior did a poor job.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
@TooManyToys Sounds like a lot of air leaking in that vid, was all that past the pintle or did he just have bad air connections? ..if bad connections, it would have made a much better vid with the leaks all sealed up

"That shows whomever was in there prior did a poor job."
yeah, poor workmanship abounds on a lot of these trucks we see on the forums

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@TooManyToys Sounds like a lot of air leaking in that vid, was all that past the pintle or did he just have bad air connections? ..if bad connections, it would have made a much better vid with the leaks all sealed up

• Well I Shot myself in the foot. While installing the injectors and trying to maneuver my big torque wrench I dropped my torx bit and I'm scared it went into the head somehow :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
A good light, mirror, maybe a snake cam ...hope you find the bit

I usually have a dedicated socket or if using a bit, then wedge a shim in the socket to retain the bit ...those are way to easy to drop

when you find the bit ...a magnet on a bamboo skewer stick, or the small magnet on a copper wire that the tool truck guy has, possibly a "lady finger" (4 finger pickup tool)

·
Registered
801 Posts

Pete's a good mechanic, it was past the pintle.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts