Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up my tank today and the gauge only moved up a little bit (yes, I know the tank was filled since I could see it foaming up at the filler neck, pumped 34 gallons, trickling in the last 3 gallons)

Truck is an '05 XLT with the single 38 (37?) gallon tank.

Needle was closer to E than the 1/4 filled mark before I filled up and seemed to be working fine, now its closer to the 1/4 fill mark, but it should be beyond the Full mark.

Any ideas? All other gauges worked fine. I'm guessing it isn't a fuse issue or I think the gauge wouldn't move at all, as it does drop when I turn the key off and move up after turning the key on.

I can take it to the dealer but I'd rather not pay the deductible if it could be a simple fix. Hoping it'll fix itself in the morning when I head to work though.

Thanks
Bruce

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Mine has been stickin intermittently for the last 6 months if I let it get very low before I fill up. Hasn't been happening often enough to call it "broke" and do something about it. It usually goes back to normal the same day, or on the drive to work in the morning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My fuel gauge acts up if I drop below 1/2 tank and it pops the check engine light, I need to change the sending unit in the tank but it is a dealer only item and it is not cheap so I just live with it and try to keep it above 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Did you leave the truck running while you fueled? I've seen Ford gauges do weird things (as you describe) in that case. They've always cleared for me in a drive cycle or two.

How was it this morning on the way to work?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, truck was off when I fueled up. My commute is 17 miles, around 16 miles into the ride it finally got to full. During the drive, it was slowly creeping towards full. After I got to work, I shut the truck off and then turned the key enough to power the gauges and it went to full, so hopefully it was a one-time thing. I guess I'll find out in about 500 miles.
Worse case, it'll cost me the $50 deductible to fix if it keeps doing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The most common problem with your fuel gauge is an intermittent failing fuel level sensor in the tank. (sending unit assembly) However, there is also calibration update for pcm that can also cure this problem. I bet if you scanned the computer, you will find a fuel level sensor circuit code. Thus leading to a faulty sending unit. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Faulty fuel gauge

My '04 did same thing once. Don't know why, or what caused. I filled up when it was below 1/4 tank & gauge acted up. It corrected after a couple of days, & hasn't done it since. I didn't worry about it, I have a good handle on how many miles per tank, so I always use the odometer anyway.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last fillup it was fine. I'll be filling it up again next week so I'm hoping the gauge behaves this time too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The most common problem with your fuel gauge is an intermittent failing fuel level sensor in the tank. (sending unit assembly) However, there is also calibration update for pcm that can also cure this problem. I bet if you scanned the computer, you will find a fuel level sensor circuit code. Thus leading to a faulty sending unit. Hope this helps you.
Very helpful info! My 06 just had this issue yesterday. The fuel level has been close to empty and wasn't filled up until a couple weeks later. It's now at 1/4 tank after filling up the truck. There's close to a full tank, but will not go pass 1/4 tank. The check engine light also popped up. I only drive my truck maybe once a week so that may not be helping my situation.

Is it safe to say that if the fuel gauge doesn't fix itself then the Sending unit would need to be replaced or get the new calibration update?

·
Registered
324 Posts
my 03 did this last week I had the truck running when i filled it up. Gauge slowly moved up on my 50 mile drive. Tried turning the truck off a few times but didnt change. I think it is working now but i will find out come next fill up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem when I first bought the truck. It had 300 miles on it and every time I turned the key on I would get a different reading. Took it to the dealer and they found rust on the sensor in the tank. It was replaced and have not had a problem with it for 3 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same problem when I first bought the truck. It had 300 miles on it and every time I turned the key on I would get a different reading. Took it to the dealer and they found rust on the sensor in the tank. It was replaced and have not had a problem with it for 3 years.

This is good to know.

Since I've been driving my truck more, the fuel gauge eventually corrected itself. I reset the check engine light and everything seems fine for now.:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts