Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this... so the other day I go to drive my PSD. the fuel light is on, then 30 seconds later, the truck starts to hick-up and sputter... okay, so I'm running out of fuel. So i make it back to my house(3blocks) and park it. I put 5 gallons of Diesel in, and now it shows half a tank and is running fine. What do you all think?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I recommend that you pull the fuel filters (both) and inspect for debris. There have been issues with the sending unit located in the fuel tank causing a "lag" on the proper level reading but I suspect low fuel pressure (FP) with an unrelated fuel light due to your description of "hick-up and sputter."

It is VITAL that you have a FP gauge for these trucks. The FP for a stock 6.0L is about 50psi but the FP regulator spring degrades over time and under wide-open-throttle (WOT), the FP may dip to under 45psi - VERY DANGEROUS (and expensive). The proper operational range for the FP is 45-75psi (quite generous). There is an upgraded FP regulator spring (it is two coils longer than the original stock spring) (PN: 9T517) that raises the FP to about 65psi with dips to 55psi at WOT. The consequence of low FP (either from inadequate fuel in the tank or blocked fuel lines, blocked filters, blocked fuel pickup, etc.) is broken injectors (these are fired by high pressure oil...the 6.0L is not common-rail).

I don't see the addition of a FP gauge as "throwing parts" at a problem because of the 6.0L's sensitivity to low FP. This could be a simple sending unit problem but as you've provided no other codes it is difficult to assess otherwise. Injectors are about $280 each - protect that wallet!

Jonathan

·
Registered
443 Posts
When i bought my truck about a month ago the fuel gauge didn't read. The dealer went to fix this and their shop just threw parts at it. New sending made the gauge read but was innacuarate. Finally had to take it to another shop and they di the troubleshooting and found that the gauge in the cluster was bad. Mine would dip to empty and jump back to a reading after a few seconds. Now my gauge is still not reading accuarate but it is working all the time and doesn't dip to empty anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been thinking about the new spring as well, but not related to what issue I am having right now... I did replace both fuel filters about 6-7k ago, but i will check them any ways for good measure. I also drove it today for a but and the dam thing ran great. Could it have been a combination of 2 errors, no fuel and bad sending unit/gauge???
On a side note, how hard is it to change out that spring on my '06?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When i bought my truck about a month ago the fuel gauge didn't read. The dealer went to fix this and their shop just threw parts at it. New sending made the gauge read but was innacuarate. Finally had to take it to another shop and they di the troubleshooting and found that the gauge in the cluster was bad. Mine would dip to empty and jump back to a reading after a few seconds. Now my gauge is still not reading accuarate but it is working all the time and doesn't dip to empty anymore.
my gauge does the exact same thing, i will be driving down the road, say 3/4 tank of fuel and then beeeep, low fuel light is on. couple minutes later or the next time i start it, works just fine. as far as i know its reading accurate. i dont let the tank get under 1/4 usually.

·
Registered
443 Posts
my gauge does the exact same thing, i will be driving down the road, say 3/4 tank of fuel and then beeeep, low fuel light is on. couple minutes later or the next time i start it, works just fine. as far as i know its reading accurate. i dont let the tank get under 1/4 usually.
I know that mine isn't reading right cuz I fill it up at a 1/4 tank and it will only take 11 gal. It has the 29 gal tank. And I dont even put 100 miles on a tank and it already shows 1/2 tank. But at least the gauge dont just drop off to nothin now

·
Registered
637 Posts
Changing the stock FP regulator spring to the upgraded blue FP regulator spring is easy. The part number is 9T517 for the complete kit but all you really need is the spring (of course changing the o-rings and small plastic poppet valve makes sense). There is a great write-up on TheDieselStop by user "Band_Member" that I will link here: Fuel Regulator Upgrade w/ Pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
It is not a performance upgrade. You are not likely to get any seat-of-the-pants dyno results although many claim a bit more off-the-line response. This ensures proper FP for the injectors only and at about $50 for parts and an hour of effort to protect 8 x $280 worth of injectors the mathematics of preventative maintenance passes the "good idea" test.

Jonathan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks Howell...
Also,
would that cause a hard start too.? seems like it's a take a bit longer for it to get going... I'll hold the key for 3-5 second, stop... then 2-4 seconds and it will fire up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts