Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever each tank is above 1/2 then gauge doesnt seem to mess up too bad but when it is below that the gauge flops around everytime I hit a bump go up/down a hill or stop/accerlerate. It seems to read the sloshing of the fuel instead of compensating for it like it should. I figure it is both sending units going bad but I also have my doubts about them both going bad within the same year. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I had the same problem in my 97,if you have duel tanks never leave one empty,the sensors pickup dirt and go nuts.I found if I keep the tanks at least half full they work fine.After putting in a bottle of Seafoam in each tank the gauges work fine.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the same problem so just subscribing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have seen this post so many time and my truck does the same thing from time to time. And my grandpas truck does it as well. But have yet to ever seen a fix. The sea foam fix. But it dos make sense because my problem comes and gos

·
Registered
45 Posts
It could also be a ground problem. My front tank used to do it. So maybe check the ground on them. It was a ground on mine causing the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
classic ford prob. the sending unit in the tank is going out. the sending unit reads off the float and rod sometimes slime gets on them and they doing read correct on it just shot. the sea foam just cleans the film off the contact. i just changed mine out on my old 88 and put a new sock on and never had any problem after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts