Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fighting this issue for two years. It all started after a battery replacement. Fuel gauge will drop past E randomly and won’t fill on gauge over 3/4 full. The picture below may help videos won’t upload. There is 90 miles on the trip since thats roughly how I’ve been gauging when to get fuel. But when its on E with a full tank. Computer thinks its out of fuel and acts like its going to die as I drive. Fuel sending unit was replaced when the issue started still nothing. Batteries disconnected to reset computer still nothing. Big plugs under master cylinder on shock mount disconnected cleaned and reinstalled still nothing. Haven't seen anyone else with this problem and would really like to fix it. I have videos of it just dropping while I idle in the parking lot at work. They won’t upload

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You need a new float in the tank. Chevy’s are notorious for this. Fill up then drive off and guage goes to empty, crank and crank and crank.
Just drop the tank, and replace the sending unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
As @Roccafellas mentioned check the fuel level sensor -- you can ohm it at the tank

after that check at the instrument cluster to see if you get the same reading

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
You need to ohm the sending unit from the instrument cluster connector -- there are other places, but lets cut to the chase

if you get ohms that correspond to the fuel level -- then you can rule out the sender and wiring

I do not have a diagram showing which wire to test -- maybe someone will chime in and provide

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It works on resistance and it’s only two wires
Unless theres a splice
Find the two colours on the connector and go from there.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
First start at the sending unit, drop the tank and make sure it’s reading the resistance value correct, move the float up and down and using your multimeter on resistance (ohms) check to make sure it’s reading correctly. If it is, the voltage side of things on the pcm side is at fault.

You either have a bent float
Bad sending unit (brushes are bad)
Or someone botched the wiring while putting it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts