Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Im new here and this is my first post.

I have a new 17 250 6.7 platinum. Only had it for a couple weeks, but in that time I have noticed a problem both trips for fuel...

DTE shows about 50 Miles To Empty so I go get gas. My avg MPG is about 12.5, so I figure with 50 miles to empty and how the DTE is set to calculate from history, there should be roundabouts 4 gallons of fuel left in the 34 gallon tank. I "should" then be able to get approx 30 gallons +/- from the fuel pump. Today when I filled up I topped off at about 24.5 gallons... 5 to 6 gallons short of what I expected. So either the DTE calculator is off by 60-70 miles, or the tank level sending unit is off pretty substantially.

This same scenario has now happened twice.

Im curious if this is this simply an electronics code/programming issue of an inaccurate tank size or similar, or do I have a defective part/sending unit that is causing the problem.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
There is always a learning curve with a new truck. IT needs to learn your driving habits and takes several tanks to figure out what you are averaging.

There also seems to be a safety window as well for the fuel. I know on my truck, my 50 miles to empty comes on around 1/8 of a tank and when I fill, I can usually get 20-21 gallons out of my 26 or 27 gallon tank. It is definitely on the conservative side.

But being your truck is brand new, let it run 4 or 5 tanks of fuel. Also, if you decide to tow, it will slowly adjust with that as well and can take a couple tanks to return to unloaded mileage.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
What Blwnsmoke said. Mine came out the gate with REALLY long DTE numbers, over a month it's been settling into my, uh, foot heavy style.

All of the SuperDutys I've had in the last 15 years have been WAY, WAY on the conservative side of where Empty really is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody else have this problem? Filled up today with 2 miles to empty and only held 27.5 gallons. I have the crew cab short bed, so should be 34 gallons?? A buddy of mine has the same issue. He has 6000 miles and mine 1500. I have had 3 6.7 powerstrokes in the past 2 years and have never seen a learning curve on the distance to empty...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe if you put diesel in instead of gas the gauge will work right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is a LONG running thread on another forum about this. The DTE is way off on the 34 gallon tanks. A couple members have run it all the way down and found that at 0 miles to empty, you have about 5 gallons left in the tank. They are all this way. They also figured out that the calculation is exactly right for a 29 gallon tank. Bottom line is, if you listen to tech DTE screen, you essentially have a 29 gallon tank and at 0 miles to empty you will take on 29 gallons. If you don't mind looking at 0 MTE giving you the feeling of impending doom, you can run another 75 miles or so based on your rate of consumption.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a LONG running thread on another forum about this. The DTE is way off on the 34 gallon tanks. A couple members have run it all the way down and found that at 0 miles to empty, you have about 5 gallons left in the tank. They are all this way. They also figured out that the calculation is exactly right for a 29 gallon tank. Bottom line is, if you listen to tech DTE screen, you essentially have a 29 gallon tank and at 0 miles to empty you will take on 29 gallons. If you don't mind looking at 0 MTE giving you the feeling of impending doom, you can run another 75 miles or so based on your rate of consumption.
Could you link that other forum discussion for me? I read something about it at one point and that it affected trucks made before XX/XX date.

Hawk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts